Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

When it Rains Oil Contamination

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
Now, I am confused. My '77 has a drain plug under the tranny that is used to drain the primary/tranny oil. That is what I have always used. Heck, I just whipped out the original owner's manual and confirmed that I was using the correct plug....are you telling him not to drain the primary oil via the drain plug or is there another plug under there that looks like a "drain plug"?
xxxflhrci.........
OK, I can clear up your confusion if needed.
Let me wait a bit to see if someone else clears it up.
Failing that, I will do so.
pg

Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

xxxflhrci.........
I see there are no takers yet to explain the matter of confusion over drain plugs, so let me attempt a try..........

There is a drain plug for the primary compartment.
There is a drain plug for the transmission compartment.
On a machine newer than 1972 there may be a third plug found under the crankcase, close to the seam.

This is not a drain plug. This was put there after Harley completed some kind of machining operation when the engine was built and the factory chose (poor choice too) to use a plug to seal the hole, rather than welding it closed.

This rather large plug should never be removed because the threads are very crumbly and most times when removed the threads become stripped. Then at best it leaks from there on until the cases are split apart and the hole welded up in a major engine overhaul operation.
This hole cannot be 're-threaded' because the flywheels sit right above the plug with about a quarter inch of air space between them and the aluminum case.
So everyone leave this plug in place in the crankcase!

Back to the confusion on the drain plugs for the transmission and primary.............
These both are truly drain plugs. They are made to be removed, the fluid drained, and replaced and refilled with fluid.

The confusion is this:
Since the case is made of aluminum and the plug is made of steel...... if you were to get one crossed threaded most likely it will take out the threads. So sepixlh's comment 'to not remove the plugs' is only in reference to the chance of stripping them.

So you have to use the normal caution, but as it says in your manual.....they are to be removed to change the oil. So what you are doing is correct. Drain the oil by removing the plugs.
pg

Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Stepper
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be the correct oil product to use as a flush for the Primary/ Trans?
I read in a thread that Kerosene is not recommended for this part of the motor
Is it ok to use a lighter weight oil 30w/ or 15-40W , and circle the block a few times.
just far enough to get her warm. and then dump the oil . I figure it may take 2 flushes do to the amount of H2O I had.
Thanks
Stepper
recovering Bonehead

Old 02-09-2010, 03:07 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Stepper,

I'd do just that....I'd just change it a couple of times using cheapo oil....BTW, I ran 30wt non-detergent motor oil in my primary for years with no problems.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Stepper
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You All for you time and Wisdom.

Stepper