Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Pinion and IronMick

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
PG, is it possible to fit a magneto-type cover to a later engine?
Yes it is possible but is rarely done because of the expense.
Doing this requires an old style timing cover, a magneto, and a different rear intake cam.
Additionally, to do this correctly the timing cover should have new bushings installed and then line reamed to size and alignment with the bearings in the crankcase.

Having since seen the pics of the bike on the trailer I have replied to the OP that I believe he has a 1974. The number is stamped on the right side and is that of a 1974 series wise. I believe he misread the 4 as an A.
The way to tell if it is a late model engine (1974) is to look at the primary cover. It should be a cast aluminum with the clutch cable going in the cover where the wet clutch is housed.
He had no pic of the primary but on the right side view of the sprocket cover I did not see evidence of the 'worm screw' that would go with an old dry clutch. That and the serial number location is what makes me think he has a 1974.
The frame? Who knows. The front end looks like a wide glide and what else is different?
The original frame should have the same number as the engine on a 1974.
pg

Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM
droff85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I went out and took a few more pics to try and help. Sorry for the size I dont know how to resize them from my iphone. Oh and I looked at the number and it is a 4. I tried to take a pic but it would not come out clear.

The area where the paint is scratched off I did. I was trying to find some numbers but only found two little stars.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

It's a 1974 engine with that serial number, and has the earlier cam cover. I'd bet that frame will cook eggs! The VIN should've been between the stars, IIRC. While it might've been an honest mistake, it's a mistake that essentially makes the frame a big liability.

Get the local cop-shop to run the engine numbers to make sure they're clean. Then pull the engine out of that frame. Take the frame and give it to someone you don't like.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Ok so I went out and took a few more pics to try and help. Sorry for the size I dont know how to resize them from my iphone. Oh and I looked at the number and it is a 4. I tried to take a pic but it would not come out clear.

OK, the pic of the primary shows us that you do have a 1974 model engine that has been refitted with an old timing cover and a magneto.

As for the frame not having any numbers on it...........
It is my opinion that this will not cause you any problems. If you now have a title that shows the engine number on it you have everything you need.
Now that is true for Texas (where I live) but it may be a different matter if you live, say.... in Kalifornia. So just check with your DMV to see what they require for you to get plates for the bike.
Rare to see an old timing cover and magneto on a later model engine. I am rather jealous myself.
Have fun with it!
pg

Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 PM
droff85
Advanced

Unfortunately I DO NOT have a title. But I do know some people that know some of the history of the bike. Maybe I can track down a vin or some info if the frame has been changed. Thanks for being jealous of my bike but dont get too excited because it may not be worth a s**t if I cant get it titled.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by droff85
Unfortunately I DO NOT have a title. But I do know some people that know some of the history of the bike. Maybe I can track down a vin or some info if the frame has been changed. Thanks for being jealous of my bike but dont get too excited because it may not be worth a s**t if I cant get it titled.
Just see what your state's DMV says.
Take my bike for instance. It is a 1971 and the engine and frame numbers match. However, when I restored it umpteen years ago I used epoxy primer and PPG DCC paint. The frame numbers completely disappeared under the primer and then after 4 coats of the DCC and 2 more coats of clear over that you will need a jack hammer to ever see this number.
Along with that, I bought this machine in 1973 and in the following 37 years not once have I been asked about the frame number. It is just not an issue because in Texas everything is based on the engine number. So all states will vary and I hope you have good luck with your officials.
pg

Old 02-04-2010, 10:02 AM
lagunatic
Advanced

after you check your vin#s just bond the title.just go to a local insurance agent and tell them what you need it will cost around a hundred bucks and then your legite.thats what I had to do and worked great,nice bike and yes I really like the magnito on it ,very cool.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
70Weight
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pococj
PG, is it possible to fit a magneto-type cover to a later engine?
I aint P.G. but it is possible to use the 70 and earlier cam covers..And..use a wet clutch tranny and primary cover on the earlier engines (XLH)
The rocker covers on this bike are pre 71 also..they aint notched,Id also say 67-70

Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i aint no expert especialy in comparison to PG and Iron Mick but that engine looks liek someone has put together using differnt parts fro mdiffernt era's and i agree that frame could be used to fry eggs on

Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 PM
blwcapped
Advanced
Talking Maybe try new bike registration

I am new to ironhead thing but I did practice law in Kalifornia (per PG) for 16 yeras. Now I teach loud mouth kids. In most states you can register a new build bike. I looked over ad and it seems you have the paperwork on the engine.

You have a real interesting bike. If you look at the right side with mag you have a 1974 gear cover (proper name?? ) with the early cam cover and a MAG !!. You have a wide glide front end and a custom bike. BUY a new frame rigid or ?? then fight with your state to register this as a new build. If Califas (Kalifornia) has this then the rest of the country, where you can be your own man, should have it.

My license is inactive (to practice law) , but if you have a question about state satutes (laws) ask a general question that is simply conversation. Let me know state so I can talk intelligently.

Its not a motorcycle, its a lifestyle???

Quick Reply: Pinion and IronMick