Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1983 roadster classic

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 01:52 PM
stilltired
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1983 roadster classic

Hello i just bought a 83 roadster classic that i was going to use to chop up hardtail ext..for my son's bike . But the bike is in new to excellent condition and all original.What i was wondering is it worth keeping like it is or is it not a big deal to chop it ... Since i didnt even know harley had a roadster classic. just thought it was a iron head sporty

Old 01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not do any mods that I could not undo in the event of a resale,also I would keep the original parts,then go find a wreck to chop up and enjoy!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:11 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 641 Likes on 229 Posts

If I wanted a chopper, I'd find another bike to chop, and not ruin a nice, old stock bike. There are plenty of donor bikes out there that have already been "customized", so I'd sell the Roadster to someone who appreciates it for what it is and use the proceeds to buy a project bike. If you find the right buyer, you should make enough to fund your project pretty well.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts

Not a good idea to chop up a bike that is close to original.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you ever notice an old classic car rolling down the road or parked someplace where you could stop and take a look at it? Old muscle cars with Hemi engines in them and old brands that are no longer being produced like Studebaker or Rambler always seem to draw a crowd of lookers. The same thing holds true with old motorcycles. People seem to be drawn to old original Indians and Harleys as well as other brands like many of the British bikes such as Vincent and Norton and Royal Enfield and the like. As hard as it is to just find the right parts for the older vehicles, having one that is already the way it should be is a real find. Some collectors would rather buy a model that is as close to original as possible, instead of buying a modified version of something and then having to spend the time and money to put it back to factory specs. If your son truly wants a hardtail chopper to ride, thanks fine, but it would really be a loss to hack up a nicely maintained vehicle that someone else might want to own as is. Believe me, an older vehicle that looks like it came right out of the past will be an attention getter for any owner. You are free to do as you want to with that nice old bike but I agree with the other members here that you (and the bike) would be better served in finding another donor bike to hack and grind up for your chopper project. Good luck with your project and ride safe out there.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 PM
70Weight
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious if your Roadster says "Classic" on it and where its marked if so?