Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead Rags?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 AM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ironhead Rags?

Well winter is here.Heating bills have gone from $50 to $350 . Electric has gone from $20 to $100. So funds don't permit buying parts for the time being. Even if I could, if I venture to the garage , it is likely that a wrench may stick to my hand like the flagpole to tongue senerio in "A Christmas Story". Needless to say, I'm pretty much done for the season.
In light of that, I have been going back and reading old posts on here for learning,entertainment, and motivational purposes.(Which brought me to the realization of how many times some of the more knowledgable members answer the same questions! Pinion, Mick, and all you guys...THANK YOU for your advice and patience!) Although this has been time well spent, I fear that at some point I am going to run out of threads.
This brings me to my question. Does anyone know of any magazines that focus more on Ironheads and classic bikes, rather than all the trendy high dollar shiny stuff?(Not that that stuff isn't nice. Just not really my thang) Any movie or tv show suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:32 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have never come across any, but then I do not have cable TV either.
So someone may know of additional information. You may try to locate old publications of Cycle or some such magazine printed during the late sixties or early seventies where there were always articles (about the then present day cycles) describing or reviewing a bike.
That is a lame suggestion though as I have no idea of where to find such material. And it would most likely come with a cost because of the material being long out of print.

I guess pray for an early spring and find something to ward off 'cabin fever'.
pg

Old 12-11-2009, 09:39 AM
70Weight
Cruiser

Sounds like You need a list of books,movies,and websites! Dang I feel sorry for You.
Those of us that can get away with it use a spare bedroom to buildem..Maybe we could all pitch in and get You a kerosene torpedo heater? I would contribute..

Old 12-11-2009, 11:02 AM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

Originally Posted by piniongear
I have never come across any, but then I do not have cable TV either.
So someone may know of additional information. You may try to locate old publications of Cycle or some such magazine printed during the late sixties or early seventies where there were always articles (about the then present day cycles) describing or reviewing a bike.
That is a lame suggestion though as I have no idea of where to find such material. And it would most likely come with a cost because of the material being long out of print.

I guess pray for an early spring and find something to ward off 'cabin fever'.
pg
By no means is that a lame suggestion! I don't even know the names of the magazines from that time period, so your suggestion has given me some direction to take.thanks! I'll try googling it and see whay I get. And yes, I am praying for an early spring!:-) hopefully by this time next year , I'll be in a warmer climate, so it won't be an issue. That all depends on the need for toolmakers/machinist when I get things ready to go here!!!
Again,thanks! The names of any more publications are much appreciated!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:16 PM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 70Weight
Sounds like You need a list of books,movies,and websites! Dang I feel sorry for You.
Those of us that can get away with it use a spare bedroom to buildem..Maybe we could all pitch in and get You a kerosene torpedo heater? I would contribute..
You guys are ALRIGHT!!!!! Thanks man! I've got quite a few parts leftover from my last build. Think I'm gonna try cleanin' up what I don't think I'll need and sell it to get things rolling on the next one.(Maybe I'll start with a torpedo heater!) And despite the fact that my ceiling is about 4 1/2 ft in the basement, I'm gonna see what I can get done down there just to keep my sanity!!!!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer

The Horse Backstreet Chopper is a good magizine for older garage built choppers. The have ironheads in the mag all of the time. I have been a subsriber for a few years and I look forward to each issue.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

You want copies of HotXL magazine. Published by American Iron Magazine for two or three years only - last year being 1999. Has the articles on tuning etc IronHead engines - the dual plugging article, another on rebuilding the tranny, top end work, etc etc. A friend of mine has them all - but we'll get them only from his cold, dead hands.

Put HotXL Magazine or Hot XL Magazine into Google search. Be careful tho, or you'll get links to Hot eXtra Large women [heh heh].

Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

everyone elses ideas seem better than mine but some of the waldens(waldorf wal??? i always forget the name) has articles in them.the magazine is a cycletrader type magazine but there are articles....its not just ironhead articles though but generally alot/maybe all old stuff.thyey also have alot of parts for sell for every make and model it seems.----sorry but its the best i could come up with.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:37 AM
nwpaironhead
Cruiser

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Lookin forward to subscribing to The horse,78. Sounds like thats exactly the kind of magazine Im looking for!

Last night I went on line checkin out stuff from Hot XL. Woah, Mick you weren't kiddin! Those Jugs are just TOO BIG! Lol Looks like there are plenty of archives to extract info and entertainment from! By the way, you've got it rougher than me up there . Any secrets to not goin nuts in the off season? I kinda thought you or Sepixlh would laugh at my plight. Thanks for takin' it easy on me!

Straydog, is it Walnecks? They just started getting that at the gas station up the road! I'm definitely grabbin an issue. Today! Thanks man!

Thanks again to everyone! Now, if I don't have anything to do, it's no ones fault but my own.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:39 PM
hog4u
Cruiser

Quick Reply: Ironhead Rags?