Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

new 79 home

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 AM
1200efi
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile new 79 home

Hi, I got my "new" 79 home, took alot of pics and tried to post some with my sisterinlaw, BUT, could not git'rdone. (I'm on dialup here in the country) We are going to try on her comp some day this week. (she lives in the BIG city) Question for today is about the carb. My manuals are not here yet, the one little book I have says for 79 the carb is a Keihin (non cv). I found NO name (like Keihin) on the carb other than Harley Davidson and an 8 digit number, is that a Keihin? I looked in jpcycles for a kit and only found it for the cv model. Will that kit work for what I need, gaskets, orings, seals, etc, or should I keep searching for the kit for the non cv. Also I'll need tires, do you think I should go with tires of the era or put Metzlers on it. I'm not going to rat or bob it, I want to restore this one. Are cokers ok? Any other advice or comments are welcome. Thanks guys and gals. Ride safe. (AND yes I do need the right side cover.)

Old 10-11-2009, 12:11 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

If it is the original Keihin carb it is what is referred to as a butterfly carb. With the air cleaner off you will see the choke plate like in this pic ...

The HD part number for the original carb is 27469-78A. It may have the code B83A somewhere on the carb body. The carbs are the same style up to about 1988, after which they went to the CV carb.

You may not need a rebuild kit. I have never purchased one for any of the bike carbs i have had in the past 15 years. You can buy a new bowl o-ring separately, plus a accelerator pump diaphragm if one is needed. Note that for the needle valve with the rubber tip, keep the original one if it is good. Often the aftermarket ones simply do not work.

I would go for any good quality, modern, brand name tires. If you have a local indie shop where you will deal i would discuss your riding style with him and go with his recommendation. Always support a local independent shop if you can.

Last edited by IronMick; 10-11-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:51 PM
1200efi
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile carb

Thanks Mick, That is my carb, I have the four numbers of B83B followed by QC10. And those two parts are the two I need, I'll look through jpcycles again, but I didn't see them sold loose, just in a kit, unless you know a site where I can buy them loose. I'll talk with my indy about the tires on tuesday, he is closed on mondays. I'll also ask him about the bowl seal and diaphram. If I bring him a large red bull he will jump through hoops and burn off his keds. (HEE HEE) Thanks alot Mick. Ride safe. ( I'm sure I'll be back.)