Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Carb and throttle

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009 | 09:36 PM
Bikemaster Mick
|
Stage I
Default Carb and throttle

I have a '73 XLH with a throttle that does not return itself. I've done some reading on this and from what I've gleaned it came stock like this a few years. I'd like to change this because I recently drove it into the garage... through the garage door. Luckily only minor injuries to myself... and thank god none to the tank that I own. It went through the aluminum door like a can opener.

I've discussed it with a few people and I think it may be possible to do something with the carb but I was wanting to put a higher end carb on it to increase performance but can't find parts for this old of a bike. Any suggestions on where to find a performance part for a bike like this or where I can do any other similar parts shopping?

Old 09-11-2009 | 09:52 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Well Mick, at least you know how to make one hell of an entrance upon returning home! I believe your bike has a Bendix Zenith carb stock? Not a bad carb, but not the best either. I think you may be happy with a S&S B on your sporty. It is a great, simple, dependable carb and doesn't cost a lot of dough either. I am running one on my 83 FLH Shovel and it is perfect. I know some others may have different preferences. I am sure you'll get some good advice on here. As for why yours doesn't return on itself, I don't know.....my stock Bendix has a spring return and it works like a charm. Have you always had this problem or did it just start? I took mine off my Sporty to replace it with the big boy that came stock on my Shovel....I drilled the jets bigger to get a bit more power and installed it on my Ironhead just two nights ago. I will kick her over this weekend to see how she does with the bigger carb. If you want my stock Bendix that works perfect I wont need it anymore and planned on selling it anyhow so let me know (I know mine will not get stuck open and allow you any more grand entrances into your garage).
Glad you didn't get really hurt.

Old 09-12-2009 | 06:33 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I do not know for certain, but i think the no-return spring throttles are older than 1973. So i think yours has a simple mechanical problem - perhaps with the routing of the cable or the cable attachment at either end. It would be a good idea to dismantle these things, lube the cable, and see.

Used CV carbs from 1990 up Sportsters are said to be the best value in terms of performance and price. They are very good. You can get marginally better performance from a hi-end carb, but you pay a lot more. Should be able to pick up a CV for $50 to $75 on eBay. You need an adapter, also available on eBay.

But check out what you have first.

Last edited by IronMick; 09-12-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2009 | 02:20 PM
GA Ironhead
Cruiser

I agree with Mick. Something sounds wrong with your setup - maintenance/inspection may solve the issue.