Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Front wheel wobble....help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 12:35 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel wobble....help

Hello all...I am trying to finish this build, but I want to make sure it's totally right as I go along. Here's the latest - and I really need help with this. I was sitting on the bike to measure up where everything is going to finally end up and as I am sitting looking over the handlebars knowing damn well the front tire is perfectly aiming straight, I notice the handlebars are tweeked....an easy, sometimes primitive fix by just loosening the clamp bolts and jerking the bars to whichever side it needs. Well, one thing I like about this bike is it's rigidity, and of course because of this, the wheel was still tweeked....wait no its not, yes it is.....and so it goes until I figure out the damn wheel is traveling back and forth between the fork legs. The top of the forks up at the trees are tight (though not tightly clamped yet with the pinch bolts), but the bottom legs travel kind of like the yellowpages where your fingers do the "walk". What is the problem here? Is it because I am not running a front fender and there is little rigidity to the bottom of the front end? Or maybe it's because the pinch bolts are not tightened yet? Or do I need a fork brace - but where can I find a 35 mm one if that's what I need? I know this may be elementary to a lot of you, but I have been racking my brain and can't come up with anything. All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:49 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Front wheel wobble....help

Are you saying that the fork tubes are spreading out when the forks compress? I do not mean to sound simple but one fork leg slider should clamp tight to the axle head end. A spacer goes between the other fork tube slider and the hub. The axle nut tightens against everything so the assembly is tight overall. I do not understand how anything could move.
If, on the otherhand, you have overlong fork tubes on the bike, these might be twisting and to remedy that you need an additional triple tree clamp between the fender and the lower tree. I take it that is what you were referring to when you asked about a '35mm clamp'?

Old 06-14-2006, 02:17 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Piniongear....all is tightened at the wheel axle end. I am not going to run a front fender...in fact there are no tabs anymore for a fender to be mounted. Anyway, the tire can basically move about an inch from left to right within the confines of the bottom fork legs - I think I just may need a brace, but do they make one for 35mm tubes? Thanks in advance for any further advice....

Old 06-14-2006, 02:58 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Nardo...You say that the wheel moves left to right about an inch between the fork legs. That description makes it sound like it is sliding left to right on the axle, so I am sure that is not what you mean.
Do you mean that your fork tubes are twisting left to right and that leaves the wheel out of allignment with the handlebars? That will happen if the pinch bolts are not fully tightened at the trees. Tighten all of the bolts on that front end and see what that leaves you with.
If you need a brace, I am sure there is one available. Ask Steve here on the forum if J&P sells a 35mm brace.
Heck, I have one somewhere around here that used to be on my old Sportster when it had 8 over tubes on it. I would give it to you if I can find it. It was for a 1971 CH, so the holes are smaller than 35mm I think.
But, I have a metal lathe and could chuck it up in a four jaw and bore both holes to the needed dimension if you wind up needing one and cannot find one available. It is made of aluminum and needs polishing however.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Piniongear....It is happening exactly how you said.....the legs are twisting, not the tire sliding on the axle. I couldn't think of the right word in my initial description, but twisting is definately the right one. Anyhow, I am going to tighten all the pinch bolts and see what happens. In the meanwhile, I would be glad to pay you for that fork brace if you could locate it. I am not running a front fender, so maybe that added brace will really help out, too. Thanks again for all your help and hopefully the untightened pinch bolts are the real cause. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:33 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

OK. I will look for it today. I know it needs polishing, but that can be done with some wet/dry and elbow grease. Check back after you have tightened those bolts. I think loose bolts are your problem......piniongear

Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Copy that piniongear....and thanks again. I'll let you know what happens when I can get into the shop and tighten those bolts down.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

OK nardo.......Let me know what you wind up with after everything is tightened down. I am thinking that will solve the problem.
In anycase, I found the fork brace. The fork tube holes are 1 5/16 inch diameter. That equates to 33.33mm, so you could call it 35mm.
Center to center is 6 5/8 inches and the brace is 2 inches wide by 3/4 inch thick. Made of aluminum. Uses two 5/16-18 socket head clamp screws.......piniongear

Old 06-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Piniongear....I will gladly take the brace...it should fit, even if I have to hone it a little. How much do you want for it? Let me know and thanks again.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:12 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

nardo......I will give you the brace for free if you pay the postage for sending it. That sound fair? Email me at wb_perry@yahoo.com and give me the name/address where to send it. I am in Houston Texas, 77025.
Probably send it for $8 or $9 postal (whatever their bulk rate is now). That will be the cheapest way and you will get it within three days I would think.
Did you ever get things tightened?................piniongear

Quick Reply: Front wheel wobble....help