Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

regulator

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:19 PM
wizardry68
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default regulator

i purchased an accel regulator. followed directions given as far as polarizing it. the directions stated may spark. well it didnt but i heard it click. BUT stupid me expected sparks so lo and behold i tried again. it smoked. did i fry this?? my scoot is a 72. thanks allen

Old 08-28-2009, 04:57 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

To be clear, regardless of what the instructions say, it is the generator that is being polarized not the regulator. There are several techniques to accomplish this, some of which are done at the reg rather than at the gen. Regardless, it is the gen that is being polarized.

Smoke is never good. Best test is to run the bike with a voltmeter connected to the battery. It should read 12.x volts. Then increase the idle speed to about 2000 RPM. The meter should read 13.x. If so then all is probably OK.

Here is the complete story on gen polarizing ...

9. Polarizing the Generator

With the generator fully installed in the bike, all connections made, ignition off; connect one end of a jumper wire to the gen A, and momentarily touch the other end to the battery +ve terminal.

Usually [but not always they say], you will get a spark at the battery terminal and a light clunk sound from the gen.

10. Polarizing the Generator - The Complete Story

1. with the gen on the bench
[i] jumper the gen A to batt +ve
[ii] momentarily jumper from gen F to batt -ve

Note: This can be done the other way around,
[i] jumper gen F to the -ve batt
[ii] momentarily jumper gen A to batt +ve

2. with the gen on the bike, wires not connected
[i] jumper from gen F to a good ground
[ii] momentarily jumper from gen A to batt +ve

Note: This technique is preferred over #3 because the good ground is better than relying on grounding the F thru the reg.
Note: As with #1 this can be done the other way around.

3. with the gen on the bike, all wires connected
[i] momentarily jumper gen A to batt +ve

Note: This is technically the same as techniques #1 and #2 as the F is grounded thru the reg.

4. For bikes with a mechanical reg [1959 to 1977]

Momentarily jumper between BAT and GEN on the reg.

Note: this is technically the same as all of the other techniques as BAT is connected to batt +ve and GEN is connected to gen A.

5. For bikes with a Cycle Electric Generator/Regulator

On the Cycle Electric DGV-5000 generators you have to remove the brush cover and touch a wire from the positive terminal of the battery to the positive brush lead of the generator to polarize it. You can't polarize the generator from the external terminals. (One of the terminals is the battery terminal, and the other has an internal diode.)
You have to try pretty hard to reverse the polarity on those generators and they rarely need to be polarized.

For clarification: Cycle Electric does have a voltage regulator (the CE-540) which looks very similar. It will bolt up to a standard Model 65A generator and has external leads which connect externally between the regulator and the generator.
The CE-500 bolts to a Cycle Electric DGV-5000 generator and the regulator is internally wired to the generator.
- With the CE-540 setup the generator can be polarized by running a lead from the battery + to the "A" terminal.
- With the CE-500 you need to polarize the generator at the positive brush lead.