Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

I think I'm stupid

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009 | 06:33 PM
jswhitex
|
Advanced
Default I think I'm stupid

hi guys...ok so if someone were stupid enough to remove the cam cover on a 75 sporty to change the gasket to fix a leak, and they were also stupid enough to pull one of the cam gears because they were stupid enough to leave the points connected, and if they were even stupid enough to put the gear back in without checking the timing of the gears and then started it up and let her run for 5 to 10 seconds, how much damage did that stupid person do to his bike?
the thing is, it started back up and after realizing how stupid I was I turned her off, pulled the cover again and set the timing properly (I think), but now I can't get her started. She just whiffs with every kick.
What do you think?

Old 08-18-2009 | 06:56 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master

If you reinstalled it correctly and set the timing right and it won't start, I would check the compression to see if you bent a pushrod or valve.

Old 08-18-2009 | 09:58 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

First, to remove the gearcase cover you must first remove the pushrods. And the ignition timing rotor/mechanism. Actually, first you must have a factory manual.

My guess is that you have not installed things properly. You must line up the 4 pairs of cam timing marks, and set the ignition timing - two entirely different and unrelated procedures. And also you have to adjust the pushrods.

Do you have a manual? Which procedures do you need help with?

Old 08-19-2009 | 05:03 PM
jswhitex
|
Advanced

Mick,
yes I have a manual (ebay), the thing is one of the gears doesn't have any timing marks, and it should! But anyway, I am going to try to work on her tomorrow, but I think I understand what I need to do...
we will see...
I was just wondering if anyone (else) has been this stupid and if they had done any damage to their baby...
thanks

Old 08-19-2009 | 05:23 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jswhitex
... the thing is one of the gears doesn't have any timing marks, ...
Can you post a pic of that one? Sometimes the mark is there but difficult to see. On the pinion gear it may be hidden behind a lock washer.

Old 08-23-2009 | 10:00 AM
jswhitex
|
Advanced

I found the timing mark, thanks Mick, and I was trying to get the gears back in and timed and I ran into another problem...I'm going to have to pull the push rods to get the gears timed right, huh? I hope this post is read by everyone and if they run into the same problem I did they don't make the same mistakes, I HATE IRONHEADS...No I LOVE IRONHEADS, no I really love my ironhead...working and riding is a delicate balance.
I'll keep everyone posted on progress and I'm sure I will ask many more questions.
thanks!

Old 08-23-2009 | 10:59 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jswhitex
...I'm going to have to pull the push rods to get the gears timed right, huh? ...
The pushrods must be removed before you even remove the gearcase cover. There is a lot of pressure exerted down from the valve springs, thru the rockers, pushrods, and lifters onto the cams. Then the cam shafts are hard steel meshed into the soft brass bushings in the cover, hence the possibility of damage to the bushings when removing the cover with the pushrods in.

Anyway, it is a common error among ironhead newguys and probably no harm done.

Yes, they must come out now.

Old 08-23-2009 | 03:15 PM
jswhitex
|
Advanced

ok, so I got the rods out, and the cam gears are timed like the diagrams, but it still won't start. I don't think I am getting any spark to my spark plugs. the electric starter never has worked real well, and I can only kick this thing so many times before my leg goes numb. where should I move to next?

Old 08-23-2009 | 08:10 PM
shepdog
Tourer

you need three things to run, fuel, compression,and spark( at the correct time) first pull a plug and check for spark if you have spark then check your comp. if it is ok then make sure you have fuel flow out of tank then move on to the carb make sure it is taking fuel, you said it ran before ,should run now, check the points,make sure your timing is not way off

Old 08-25-2009 | 10:29 AM
jswhitex
|
Advanced

OK, I have no spark...one good point is that in this process I pulled the starter and it is now turning over better than it ever has (loose magnet). But I still have no spark. New points and condenser?

Quick Reply: I think I'm stupid