Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

GOT HER HOME !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 05:09 PM
JDWilbourn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GOT HER HOME !!!!

Well I went and got the 76 Sportster last night. For $200 I got alot of extras with it. On the bike it has a larger tank with two gas caps and bigger rear and front fenders, luggage rack set up for solo seat. Shes blue all over, Tank and fenders have faded a little but the frame under the seat is nice. Clean and buff and it may shine again. The extras I got are 1 more solo seat and 3 double seats, 1 goes strait back and the other raises about 3 or 4 inches up in the back and the other one raises up about a foot like a covered sisybar. 2 front fenders that are smaller and orginal and 1 rear fender orginal. The three fenders are in good shape. I think that I'll cut, on the smaller orginal, 4 in off the front and about 6 in off the rear of the front fender to make alot shorter. Change out the rear too and cut it off the back about 5 in, just under the taillight.
I'll post pictures of it sometime today I hope.
I'm having trouble finding parts for it though. Any good Website to look for engine parts?

Old 05-29-2006, 06:17 PM
fgonzales
Stage IV
Default RE: GOT HER HOME !!!!

For parts, try Jireh Cycles or J & P. Good luck with your "new" bike.

-fernando
73 Sporty

Old 05-29-2006, 07:09 PM
CycloneRacer
Novice

Hi JD,
Wow, I thought I scored a deal on my 73 for $500! Is it running? I was pretty pumped up this weekend when on Saturday I fired mine up thanks to the help of Pinnongear on this forum. I look forward to seeing some pics.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:20 AM
JDWilbourn
Intermediate

[sm=smiley25.gif] I've gotta get some pic to show yall. As I said in another post it locked up on my friend. When he gave me all the parts that the shop took off, it was obvious that the cyclinder wasnt getting oil. One jug was scorched but the other had a quarter size piece out of it at the top by the rings or what is left of the rings and gouged the jugs bad!! I dont know if this means any thing but I rotated the crank with the rods sticking out and it rotated freely with no binding or any kind catch like a piece of metal or flake got to the berrings, is this a good sign? I'm still going to spilt the crankcase becase metal has gone somewhere, I am just wanting a ray of hope.

Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There shines that ray of sunshine you have been looking for JD. If the crank and rods rotate without any feeling of roughness or binding, it may mean the lower end survived. It is possible that you may need another cylinder, pistons and a rebore for sure, but better than it sounded before. Your friend obviously did not have the oil pump go out or else that would have stuck the bottom end. A good thing. Get yourself a factory manual BEFORE you put a wrench on it to split the cases...............piniongear

Old 05-31-2006, 01:34 AM
frg607
1st Gear

hey keep in touch- just bought a 76 on ebay last night, trying to get it home now, good luck w/ your scoot

Old 05-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Shovelhead77
Cruiser

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal. I just finished mine 77' last month after about six month of building, Iam telling ya there is nothing like the feeling of firing her up after all the hard work you will put in it. Good luck and show pic's.
Daryl