Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

76 Sportster top end

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 01:12 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: 76 Sportster top end

Ouch! The pistons stuck all right. You are going to have to get a shop to look at those cylinders to see if there is enough meat left in the bores to clean up with a rebore. Worst case is you may have to sleeve those cylinders.
I recommend splitting the cases to inspect the lower end and to remove any metal that got down there, and some has for sure. Check the oil pump by taking it apart and clean it up. When you pull the timing cover off, be sure to try to keep the cams (there are 4) with the engine side of things. There will be thin shims (either .005 or .007 thickness) between each cam and the two camshaft plates next to the crankcase. Try to keep these on the respective cams if you can. Failing that, measure the thickness of each and record it somewhere. It will a great help when you put things back together. You will still need to check the camshaft(s) end play, but this will get you closer from the get go. The shims are used to set the correct end play on the cams.
Also roll the pushrods across a piece of glass or other flat surface to see if they were bent.
Nice looking machine. You have a good one to work with there as it seems to be really complete and in good shape......piniongear

Old 05-31-2006, 01:27 AM
JDWilbourn
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about rebore but J&P has cylinder and piston kit $469 and already had that in mind. I think I can get a shop to rework the heads because they still looked good. With the top of the pistons looking like they did I thought it would have taped the head alittle but they were untouched. I'm trying to get my old Power Wagon sold so I can afford to do the work. While I have your attenction, What is an average head work cost so that I know if I'm getting shafted?

Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I cannot give you any kind of answer to what a shop will charge for the headwork, but the cost will depend on what needs replacing of course. Call a couple of shops to compare the labor costs. They should be willing to give you an estimate (if they won't, you do not want to use them) and the parts cost should be the same no matter who does the work. Lucky that the heads were saved, looking at those pistons.
Oh, $469 sounds good to me on the pistons/cylinder kit..............piniongear

Old 05-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JD,
The head work is going to run you about $300 plus parts. JIREH has the front cylinder 93-259 for $75, the rear cylinder 93-260 for $70 and various different piston kits starting at 93-274 for $19 each. these part numbers are for stock bore and the kits have rings, pins and clips. I can't speak for the quality but the price is right. They also have free shipping over $75 dollars. These are great bikes and a lot of fun to work on. Good luck.
Jim

Old 05-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to do most of the work yourself if you have the proper manual (the HD FACTORY service manual) and a few special tools that most decent shops (usually not stealerships) will loan you. I rebuild the top end of my '76 XLCH every winter whether it needs it or not. I have done total rebuilds three times and only needed to take some parts to a machine shop to have them worked. Just follow the manual and take you time and you won't have any problems. Those are very easy engines to rebuild. Good luck!