Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

72 XLCH sportster oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:34 PM
sousap
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 XLCH sportster oil leak

I replaced the check valve and spring in the oil pump, oil coming to tranny side does not seem to be an issue, but I still have 1 leak (pretty bad leak) right at the booton right screw by the brake assembly, the oil is not leaking from the seal rather right from the screw, what is the best method to fix this, pictures attached.

Attached Thumbnails 72 XLCH sportster oil leak-sdc10335.jpg   72 XLCH sportster oil leak-sdc10336.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 05:31 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sousap
I replaced the check valve and spring in the oil pump, oil coming to tranny side does not seem to be an issue, but I still have 1 leak (pretty bad leak) right at the booton right screw by the brake assembly, the oil is not leaking from the seal rather right from the screw, what is the best method to fix this, pictures attached.
I suggest you pull the primary cover off and look inside to see if there is chain damage to the case.
What you are looking for is the case being worn/damaged to where you can see the threads of the screw.
If this is the condition, the only fix is to have the worn area welded up.

If there is no damage however, then clean the case gasket surface really well and do the same with the primary cover.
Apply a new gasket to the primary using gasket sealer and then tighten down all of the cover screws iin a cris-cross pattern, like you would do on a head.
Sometimes a primary is difficult to get absolutely oil tight, but it can be done.......... pg

Old 08-03-2009, 06:50 PM
sousap
6th Gear

Good call PG, thanks.
Attached are pictures somewhat fuzzy.
The engine is actually damaged in 2 places where that screw goes, the first is right at the edge where it meets the cover (probably where the most oil is leaking from) there is metal missing, the second is cracks half way in the screw hole, I put in a flashlight and cannot see light thru it, but the crck is very visible.
How can I fix this?

Attached Thumbnails 72 XLCH sportster oil leak-sdc10346.jpg   72 XLCH sportster oil leak-sdc10347.jpg   72 XLCH sportster oil leak-sdc10348.jpg  
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Sousap.......
The pics are very fuzzy. I can make out the first one but not #2 or #3.
Let's talk about #1. There is metal missing as you say and the screw is exposed. This is almost surely the place the oil is coming out of.

The only way to fix this is to remove the clutch, clutch basket, primary chain and engine sprocket. That clears out the primary so that it can be cleaned really good and Tig welded up.
The items have to be removed so a welder has room to work. The area(s) need to be welded up with aluminum welding wire to replace the missing metal.

Then you will have to resurface the face of the case so it is nice and flat where the primary gasket goes, or else it will leak in a new place.
You will most certainly have to put the hole back in the case and re-thread it.
I would be tempted to have the welder just fill in the hole and then re-drill it with a #7 drill bit and run a 1/4-20 tap into the hole.
You can use your primary case fastened in place as a guide. Be careful using a hand held drill of course. Some grinding down of the excess aluminum may also be required, depending on how good the welder is.

A good welder may be able to Mig weld this which will be a quicker process, but you need to let the welder guide you on this.

You will want to start looking for a welder at a independent shop that does custom building work on bikes. They will be well versed in Tig and can handle the repair. Don't take for granted that just because they are in business that they can weld. Use caution when selecting a shop. Another place to look is a marine shop that does boat work. These guys weld a lot of aluminum too.

I wish I had a short cut to offer you but this is what you need to do to repair it correctly. Let us know how you make out finding a welder and wwhat he tells you........... pg

Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM
sousap
6th Gear

Well I am still looking for a welder, most when I say 72 harley they do not seem to want to touch it, meanwhile I found a 1/4 sealing washer (a whasher with a built in rubber seal) and the perfect bolt that goes with it, found it at home depot (of all places), I reinstalled the cover and extra sealer where the hole is and so far no leaks from the bolt.

I checked the chain travel and it is whithin specs can't really see anything else that could have done that damage.

I'll keep looking for a welder

Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, you want to find a welder who is indeed a welder. Not some guy who just pulls the trigger on a Mig gun and let's things fall where they may. So keep looking.

If your fix holds in the oil then you are good to go. That is really what you need and it will give you some breathing room while trying to find a good welder guy........... pg