Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

75 Ironhead clutch drag

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:04 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by marksjeff
I've had the bike for over a year but have been putting it back together. I didn't mess with the clutch. The primary cover was cracked from a broken starter shaft so I replaced that and had to move the parts from one cover to the next. This is the first Harley I've owned and was just shocked when it took off when I put it in gear. I tried to shift it out of first while holding the brake and it wouldn't happen, so I didn't even try shifting on the road. Maybe I should have tried to go for a ride to see if it would have shifted. I did notice that after it warmed up it didn't move the bike as much but I still was unable to shift out of first while sitting in the driveway.
Well now I am glad I sent you that follow up message. I guess that was what was bugging me. If this is your first Sportster you would be surprised when it goes CLUNK and takes you for an unwanted ride down the driveway.

Yes, you should continue to ride the bike. Since the machine has been sitting for a year it needs to be cranked and ridden. It will 'wear itself in before long ' and be more comfortable for you.

If the CLUNK bothers you, just roll the bike forward and put it into first gear while it rolls. Notice the CLUNK is now not as bad?
Likewise, when the bike is rolling the gear change will be much easier.

DO NOT take the clutch apart at this point. I can almost assure you that your clutch is just a normal Sportster clutch. After you ride it for 20 or 30 minutes see if it stops dragging. It should allow you to find neutral while sitting still. If it does not, then you may have a drag problem.
Just remember....... It will never be like a Honda, and thank God for that!............... pg

Old 06-29-2009, 09:27 PM
sugarplum247
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 76 wont shift out of 1st just sitting still i have to grab shifter with my hand to get it in nutral but rolling down the road she shift smooth you might try it and see this is my first harley also and ive found that they are old noisey rough riders but the power is awsome feeling

Old 06-30-2009, 05:13 AM
marksjeff
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I'm going to attempt my first ride!

Jeremy

Old 08-14-2021, 11:16 PM
Joe Mommason
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marksjeff
Well I've done what the book says for adjusting and I also used the motor oil and I ended up with the same result. Any other ideas before I take off the cover and inspect?
Jeremy
I had the same problems
I took the tranny out and my mainshaft was brokeNo matter how many times I adjusted the clutch it
I would still drag