Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

thru bar wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:24 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thru bar wires

what is the best way to run all of my wires thru the handle bars, my bars have the holes under the controls but no hole by the trees, so i guess drill between the triple trees, install a gromet,what about splices? solder and what is the best way to seal and insulate them? not much room in there!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:58 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

i will say that i do not like using any type of connector witht small guage wire.over time it always seems to be an issue.a good way to insulate them is with that "tube stuff" that you melt over the wire after you connect it.
also aftre you drill out that hole on your bars dont forget to file out the hole.any sharp edge i am sure would penetrate/rub on your wires eventually causing you a headache.good luck

Old 06-26-2009, 02:24 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Running wires through the bars is a pain in the butt but it does look clean. Make sure your wires are long enough first. You don't want any type of splice or connector inside the handlebars. It also makes it difficult to fish them through. Use the heat shrink tubing over the wires. I drill and file a slot in the center of the bars, if yours are one piece. Two piece not a problem.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:05 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Best to use oversize bars for this - say 1,1/4" rather than stock 1"; although i have done it with 1". I drilled two adjacent holes to make an oblong; filed it smooth; no grommet.

"They say" it cleans it up, but you still have throttle cable, brake cable, clutch cable, whatever. After i had done it i decided that it was not such a good idea. Too much work, too much trouble, too little benefit. And i had to extend the wires by a couple of inches - a real PITA.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:23 PM
shepdog
Tourer

they have already been spliced, thats my problem they are ugly not spliced very well,wanted to redo the splices so i thought it would be a good time to send them thru the bars.went and picked up solder and shrink tubing today,if there was a way to wrap the wires to clean up the look i would leave them out of the bars.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:55 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

i see alot of wiring that gets spliced and i guess when people do it they already think it will look like a$$ so they dont bother trying to make it look good.so many times it gets cut tooo short...or too long sometimes and it just gets twisted into a knot.....on anything bigger than a 16 i separate the end into 2 "pigtails" and do the same to the matching end and after spinning them together put one end one way and the other the other way.i know that may seem trivial and maybe everyone here already does it that way but i have seen sooooo much stuff that would have been so much better if they would have just gone to a little extra trouble as opposed to spinning a gob of wires into a ball and wrapping it with some electrical tape.
mine are spliced right before you get to the first hole of the bars.all of my wires are covered with that hard plastic tubing that protects wires from heat.--forget correct name.you cannot see any splices at all.------thats after using heat shrink/tape etc
also when i fished the wires throughthe bars i taped the ends together but i taped it so one wire was a couple inches longer than the rest so i could easily get it....and taped the rest spaced back a little each time.....sorta like making a spear i suppose.i think it made it much easier to make the turns.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:14 PM
shepdog
Tourer

thanks guys i am going to jump into this thing on sat. ill let you know how it turns out!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure you use a rat tail file to smoothly round off all the sharp edges of the hole(s), especially inside the bars. If you are running 1 inch bars you will find you have enough room for the wiring you are gonna route through there, but just barely enough room.

Many years back, the factory used tightly wound electrical tape to do the job. Same for the rest of the bike's 'wiring harness'. Worked OK until a couple of years passed and the ends began to unwind.
Shrink tube is a heck of a lot better and neater......... pg

Old 06-28-2009, 05:19 PM
shepdog
Tourer

i got the wiring done re-done all of the bad connections,( the po had a bunch of butt crimp connectors(removed all of them)solderd the wires and put 1/8 shrink tube on them,then covered the harness with 3/8 shrink tube , made all of the new conections inside of the headlight bucket,the only wires left out are for the front turn signals, looks great! thanks