Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

1977 ironhead starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 PM
dirtyboy
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1977 ironhead starter problem

This is my first bike and just bought it the other day it has been sitting for the past 3 yrs has not been started since the motor work was done then it is now a 1420 it had a dead battery so i charged it over night and i try to push the start button on my bars but nothing so i stuck a screwdriver between the solenoid bolts and i could hear the starter kick out but nothing so i pulled the primary cover off and the starter is just kicking out but nothing after that so i pulled the starter and bench tested it and it spins fine there and suggestions ?

Old 06-02-2009, 01:23 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If battery is been "dry" for 3 years it's dead and nothing brings it "fully operational"
Did you tested starter with bike's battery ? it might turn without load but...
Cleaning is good point to start, then check that run/stop switch is ok, if it's stop position (or broken) starter relay don't engage solenoid.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:30 AM
dirtyboy
Stage IV

I tried it with the old battery and with a charger set on jump mode i even pulled the plugs to help with the compression but still nothing I order a kick start assembly today for it but would like to get this electric start to work.

Last edited by dirtyboy; 06-02-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:42 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is simply routes to check: ignition -> (original wiring has here white wire) handlebar run/stop switch -> start button -> starter relay . Work circuit battery -> starter relay -> solenoid Then "power circuit" battery -> solenoid -> starter motor.
Just check more from schema posted here earlier .

Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 325 Posts

actually, before I checked anything on the list that sepixlh gave, I would check to see if the engine turns over by hand. Especially since it hasn't ran since the motor work was done. Put it in the highest gear, lift the back tire off the ground, and try to spin it with the plugs out. If you can't spin it, neither will the starter.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:17 AM
dirtyboy
Stage IV

Yes i did that when i was setting the lifters and putting the tappet covers back on

Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The machine has sat without being run for 3 years.
You do intend to ride the bike as soon as you can start it, correct?

Before you do anything else, adjust the valve pushrods and adjust the gap(s) on the contact points. The points setting is .018 and the pushrods are set by reading the procedure in a factory manual.
Now, with that taken care of we can begin to look at starting the engine.

So, let's start with the most important item first.......
1) Buy yourself a brand new battery and charge it fully.

2) Install the battery on the bike and see if it will even turn over the engine. If it turns it over, go to step 3.
If it will not turn over then go no farther. You need to look at the starter solenoid and perhaps the starter itself to find the problem.

3) Try to start the bike. Sitting for 3 years things may have dried out a bit. Get it all set to crank, remove the air cleaner filter and shoot a good squirt of starter fluid into the carb throat, getting it past the carb and down into the intake manifold.
4) Put the filter back on....quickly! YOU DO NOT WANT THAT STARTER FLUID TO EVAPORATE before you can touch it off.

The engine should fire right up. It may die soon, but just try the starter fluid one more time.
If you get it running this far and it still wants to start but not stay running, then you can start looking at the carb.

This is the way to get a long sitting bike started up and running. If you omit or jump ahead with the steps, then you will be floundering for a long time possibly............. pg

Old 06-03-2009, 03:29 PM
dirtyboy
Stage IV

I set everything like you said to do and borrowed a battery out of a friends bike and still nothing i think the starter is to weak to turn the motor over i order a kicker assembly the other day and plan on installin it thursday night so will let you guys know how it goes.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I will make the following predictions:
1) The kick starter installation is not going to be a 'plug and play' experience. Look for it to be laced with fit up problems.

2) To kick start a bike that has not been run in 3 years is going to take more than a lot of luck to get it fired off. Be sure to have a large can of starter fluid on hand and be careful with that stuff because it is not just flammable, it is explosive!

I tell you this so that you will not get discouraged. The Sporty will run again, just perhaps not as fast as you may hope or expect it to.
Keep us updated on your situation........... pg

The following users liked this post:
18deluxerider (10-13-2020)
Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by piniongear
... The Sporty will run again, just perhaps not as fast as you may hope or expect it to...
+1 on this. It is important with these bikes that have sat unused for an extended time to not think about riding, but about wrenching. If you are constantly trying to get it started, trying this, trying that, you will get nowhere IMO.

You need to take a careful approach, examine every system in detail [fuel, ignition, charging, lighting, brakes, etc]; do this over a period of weeks or months. Then when the bike "is yours" it is time to think about starting and riding.

There are too many potential problems just waiting for you to find them. When there are multiple problems the symptoms are very difficult to interpret; sometimes what seems logical is just not right.

All the best. We'll continue to try to help.

The following users liked this post:
18deluxerider (10-13-2020)

Quick Reply: 1977 ironhead starter problem