Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

cv carb brace

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009 | 07:09 PM
shepdog
|
Tourer
Default cv carb brace

i have been on my ironhead for 10 years now ( a late 84 )have never had any troubles, so i finally decided to switch to a cv, found one from a 97 1200 got it on no trouble at all runs SUPER! but do any of you have a pick on how to make or can tell me where to put a brace on this carb? there is really no where on that side of bike that i can see to put one. seem to move around alot ,thanks

Old 05-01-2009 | 07:47 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I used a piece of flat steel, 1/8" thick X 1" wide. Cut to the needed length, bent and drilled as required. Attached to the front intake lifter block bolt and to the back of the air cleaner.

You can replace the lifter block bolt with one of these studs: 24827-66A, available thru local indie or any catalog company like J&P.

Old 05-01-2009 | 08:23 PM
shepdog
|
Tourer

after i posted this that is exactly what i did but i used a piece of thin stainless it works but it is to thin it no longer moves up and down but it still goes front to back ill make a heavier one in the am, thanks

Old 05-02-2009 | 01:36 PM
shepdog
|
Tourer
Default cv carb

well i got the carb on runs great,starts up goes down the road but it seam to have less on top end around 70 or so it falls off,the stock carb pulled hard well past 100,so i went to pull air cleaner off and it was soaked full of gas blows alot of fuel out of carb, i went to set slow speed adj. and i can run screw all of the way in no change? from what i have read on this thing maybe too big of a pilot jet? any clues on where to start ? it is a stock bore with andrews r5 cams,little head work, i have also checked several times for intake leaks (with propane and starting fluid) does not seem to have any

Old 05-02-2009 | 05:03 PM
halmc
Advanced

I did exactly what Mick did. In fact, for the first couple of years I had the bike I supported a Weber 40DCOE (not sure that's the correct nomenclature) that weighed lots more than the stock carbie. The lifter block retaining bolts, are, as Mick says, ideal for the task.

Old 05-02-2009 | 08:38 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by halmc
... The lifter block retaining bolts, are, as Mick says, ideal for the task.
... especially if you replace the bolt with the stud 24827-66A.

Old 05-03-2009 | 08:56 AM
GA Ironhead
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shepdog
... maybe too big of a pilot jet? any clues on where to start ? it is a stock bore with andrews r5 cams,little head work, i have also checked several times for intake leaks (with propane and starting fluid) does not seem to have any
Something sounds not quite right with the gas coming out of the carb. Acc pump nozzle facing the wrong direction?

Jetting guidance here: http://www.sportster.org/tech/

Jets depend on your engine mods, but this should give you some ideas. I'd start at 42, maybe 45 slow and a 170 main.

Old 05-03-2009 | 09:37 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

I have heard a number of times on this and other forums guys having a problem with gas being blown out the carb. I have not experienced it myself. But it seems to me that this could happen if the intake valve is not closing completely. So i would check first pushrod adjustment, then the line up of the cam timing marks.

Old 05-03-2009 | 09:47 AM
shepdog
|
Tourer

the fuel spray was not there before the carb change,the acc pump is facing in,ill check the valve settings,i can shut the pilot screw off and no change from what i have read that means the pilot jet is too big i cant seem to get the pilot jet out need a better screw driver but it has a 170 main in it if that tells you anything.

Old 05-03-2009 | 11:35 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by shepdog
the fuel spray was not there before the carb change,the acc pump is facing in,ill check the valve settings,i can shut the pilot screw off and no change from what i have read that means the pilot jet is too big i cant seem to get the pilot jet out need a better screw driver but it has a 170 main in it if that tells you anything.
I use a screwdriver that has the correct width at the tip, but is too wide to fit; so i grind down the edges so that it fits in. This way i have a screwdriver that is large enough to do the job without wrecking things.

A screwdriver that will fit into the hole is probably too small in the handle and in the shaft to have the power to do this job right.

The fuel spray from the acc pump should be aimed directly into the center of the venturi, not off to one side.

Have you read the info posted by GAIronHead above?

Quick Reply: cv carb brace