Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Cylinder raping noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Grog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cylinder raping noise

I have this raping noise coming from what seems to be the top end of my engine (difficult to pin point as I'm going down the road) when the engine lugs a bit. It is not a regular raping but more of a random one. It seems to go away when I rev the engine to higher RPM's. I an even run the bike like a "RAPED APE" going up through the gears, and as long as the rpms are fast I don't hear any raping.
Could this noise be coming from weak or broken Valve springs?

Old 04-25-2009, 06:16 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Best thing to do with engine noises is to get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to each of the various parts. Listen at each of the rocker ends, 3 points on the pushrod covers, the lifter blocks, each of the cams, other side of the engine too, etc etc.

Each of the spots should sound the same as the other like spots. The sound is mostly like rotating metal parts.

Some guys use a screwdriver or a length of oil line, but the steth gives a clearer sound. Inexpensive at Princess Auto or Harbor Freight.

Check the cylinder compression.

These are noisey engines. Probably there is nothing wrong; it is just doing what it is supposed to do. But you do have to check it out for peace of mind.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:10 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 636 Likes on 324 Posts

is the only time you hear it when you lug the engine down while driving? could it be pinging because you are trying to run at too low of rpm's?

Old 04-25-2009, 08:55 AM
AmericanNightmare73
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say, I think my '73 XLCH is probably doing the same thing yours is. Kinda hard to pinpoint where its coming from. but it does seem to be from the front cylinder somewhere. Its intermittent. I was wondering if it was a valve tapping the piston or something.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:00 PM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Somebody is raping you cylinders? I wouldn't know if that is a crime but it sounds painful and it must be obvious to diagnose. I mean wouldn't it be easy to see someone raping your cylinder??

Old 04-25-2009, 04:05 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Grog
... Could this noise be coming from weak or broken Valve springs?
Originally Posted by AmericanNightmare73
... I was wondering if it was a valve tapping the piston or something.
We always think these noises are something terrible, perhaps terminal. They rarely are. These are just ironhead engine noises. These are very noisey machines.

Originally Posted by d_slat
is the only time you hear it when you lug the engine down while driving? could it be pinging because you are trying to run at too low of rpm's ...
This is the obvious answer. If running at too low RPM the engine will make various clunking sounds as well as pinging. Both are bad for the engine. Gear down and you are good to go.

However, as i pointed out before, for your own peace of mind it is wise to check these things out. A mechanics stethoscope is a useful and inexpensive addition to your tool kit.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:39 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are good ideas here already. Start by looking at any adjustments that could cause the noise....

Old 04-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Grog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CamFX
Somebody is raping you cylinders? I wouldn't know if that is a crime but it sounds painful and it must be obvious to diagnose. I mean wouldn't it be easy to see someone raping your cylinder??
Well ... I Did sleep with the bike but I did respect her in the morning...Really! LOL

Old 04-25-2009, 09:12 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,182 Posts

I rebuilt mine from the crankpin up looking for a noise like that.... still had it when I was done.... until I changed the plugs predetonation

Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 PM
GA Ironhead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t150vej
.... until I changed the plugs predetonation
When I saw the OP describe a "raping noise coming from what seems to be the top end of my engine when the engine lugs a bit lug", my first thought was detonation.

You could try higher octane gas to see if that makes it any better. Retarding the timing will have an effect as well, if that's the source of the noise.

It's very difficult to diagnose noises over the internet...

Quick Reply: Cylinder raping noise