Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

still no start video attached

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
supr2nr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what d_slat was referring to was when you push the starter button and the starter makes the winding noise but the clutch assembly is not turning over is the bendix gear (or starter pinion gear as the manual refers to it as) still spinning?

From the sounds of the video it sounds like the bendix gear has broken and is spinning freely in both directions when in fact the gear should only spin in one direction. This sort of sounds like your issue. I had the same issue with mine a few months ago where the bendix gear would lock in place correctly under small amounts of pressure and then break and spin freely. It eventually gave way completely and stopped working.

Try pulling your starter assembly out and with your fingers spin the bendix gear in both directions.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:03 PM
sugarplum247
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok ill try this and let you know thanks

Old 04-07-2009, 09:52 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by supr2nr
I think what d_slat was referring to was when you push the starter button and the starter makes the winding noise but the clutch assembly is not turning over is the bendix gear (or starter pinion gear as the manual refers to it as) still spinning?

From the sounds of the video it sounds like the bendix gear has broken and is spinning freely in both directions when in fact the gear should only spin in one direction. This sort of sounds like your issue. I had the same issue with mine a few months ago where the bendix gear would lock in place correctly under small amounts of pressure and then break and spin freely. It eventually gave way completely and stopped working.

Try pulling your starter assembly out and with your fingers spin the bendix gear in both directions.
Exactly what i'm talking about. It sounds like the starter motor continues to spin, but freewheels instead of turning the clutch basket.

Last edited by d_slat; 04-07-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:30 AM
inthamix
Intermediate

I just ran into a relay problem, make sure the relay is grounded good, if you have to add an extra ground.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

sugarplum247 what did you find with the bendix gear?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
sugarplum247
Cruiser

ok i just got everything apart and i can only turn the bendix one way so that means that its ok right BUT i found that it had no thrust washer and i did pull the drive gear unit out a bid before when i first had this problem anyway two of the needle bearings were out of place and all the way in the back of the hole whitch in return would move the drive gear shaft out a bit and cause ut to bind up when primary cover is installed maybe this is my problem waiting on thrust washer to put back together and try it

Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarplum247
ok i just got everything apart and i can only turn the bendix one way so that means that its ok right ...
I have no experience with this with ironhead bendixes, and only a little with that on a Yamaha Virago. My recollection is that while testing it by hand like this is common, it is not a conclusive test. By hand does not apply the same pressure as does the machine.

I am interested in comments on this.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

while your starter is apart you might want to check your brushes.i have no experience with ironhead starters specifically but i know sometimes you can have 1 brush bad and will turn slowly or not at all...but if you had the sparkplugs out one brush should spin it over since its not under compression.....just a thought.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:56 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

Mick is right. By hand is not a very good test, but there is no real way you can test with it on the bike as the primary cover has to be there for the starter shaft.

Sugarplum247 make sure your not spinning it real lightly with your finger. Try actually holding it with one hand and spin the grayish looking gear with another hand. Don't be afraid to use a little force that gear has to stand up to turning the motor over so it should with stand you doing that. But it sounds like your on the right track though with the needle bearings preventing it from extending the bendix all the way out.

Let us know how it comes out.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:29 PM
sugarplum247
Cruiser

well thanks to all who helped me with this problem ended up being the bendix i put a new one on today and now she cranks over but it cranks over real hard could the timing be causing this i have my batt charging now ran it dead but thanks again you all are great mike

Quick Reply: still no start video attached