Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Running rough - now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 05:13 PM
SilverShark96
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rough - now won't start

Ok, here's the background story. It's a '78 Ironhead. Took her out today, and tried to use the electric start. Then engine was turning over but not catching. Then I used the kick start and after a while she started up. Let her warm up and then went out on the road. Was in first gear and she was running rough. Disengaged the clutch and the engine was idling terribly. Then she stalled. Tried again with electric start, but the battery lost all juice. Kick started again, and after a while of that she started up. Running rough, and then stalled out and I walked her back home. Drained the battery from trying to use the electric start. So I hooked up jumper cables to my van and the starter was turning the engine over. Not smoothly though I don't think. So I called it a day until I figure it out. Don't want to screw her up more then I already have. Yesterday, and the past week (just got her a week ago) she started up just fine, no problems at all. Ran perfectly well until this event today.

There was quite a bit of oil on the driveway after about 20 minutes after this was all said and done. Attached is a picture of all the drips. And also a picture of a tiny puddle (about the size of a $0.50 coin) on the driveway. It's not a LOT of oil, but it was significant I think.

Please let me know what you're thinking. I got a few ideas what it might be, but this is my first motorcycle. So I want to run this off of more experienced bikers.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Running rough - now won't start-oil_leak.jpg   Running rough - now won't start-oil_leak2.jpg  
Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

The oil might be from the vent pipe that runs from the lower right front of the engine. You can expect drops of oil from there.

Otherwise you might try the "World famous IronMick Paper towel Technique". Clean the engine thoroughly, attach paper towels to suspected spots, let it sit overnight and/or take it for a ride, examine the p towels; you may have to run thru this 2 or 3 times to isloate the leaks.

Ever see someone walking down the street with a dryer sheet hanging out of their clothing? Embarasing for them when they find out. Well, if you are sensitive ride only on lessor used streets, eh.

For the hard starting, my first suspicion is if the bike has sat unused for a long time. If so crud has formed in the tank and has now migrated thru the in-tank fuel screen to the carb. I'd remove the tank, petcock, screen, carb; clean; consider lining the tank with either RedKote or POR [not Kreme!].

I can give you good hints on the carb cleaning when you come to that.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:42 PM
SilverShark96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IronMick
The oil might be from the vent pipe that runs from the lower right front of the engine. You can expect drops of oil from there.

Otherwise you might try the "World famous IronMick Paper towel Technique". Clean the engine thoroughly, attach paper towels to suspected spots, let it sit overnight and/or take it for a ride, examine the p towels; you may have to run thru this 2 or 3 times to isloate the leaks.

Ever see someone walking down the street with a dryer sheet hanging out of their clothing? Embarasing for them when they find out. Well, if you are sensitive ride only on lessor used streets, eh.

For the hard starting, my first suspicion is if the bike has sat unused for a long time. If so crud has formed in the tank and has now migrated thru the in-tank fuel screen to the carb. I'd remove the tank, petcock, screen, carb; clean; consider lining the tank with either RedKote or POR [not Kreme!].

I can give you good hints on the carb cleaning when you come to that.
Hmm...You think that's all it is? The tank was very close to empty when I got it. I didn't run her dry, but it was almost empty. I filled her up with 93 octane pump gas a couple of days ago. She's ran amazingly well up until today, which makes me think that a little gummed up gas didn't get clogged up in her. Is there any good way to test for this before I take her fuel-train apart? Anything else you're thinking?

Ready for a dumb question? Where's the dipstick on her? I opened up the fuel cap but it's hard telling if she has enough oil. Maybe I should just change her oil and see if that's it.

Another dumb question. Where's the oil filter? I saw it on newer bikes in front of the first cylinder, but I don't believe mine is there.

Last dumb question. Where's the alternator on her?

Thanks a lot for all this help and please excuse my ignorance. I'm learning. I just replaced the cover for the front part of the chain where the kick start runs through. No problems, no hassle at all. Just had to drop the rear cylinder's exhaust.

Help! I feel like I'm doing wrong to her every time I try to start her. Just doesn't sound right.

Oh, and another quick thing. It's not coming from that vent pipe. It's dripping off the right side lower frame, so the source is a little hard to tell. I know it's not much oil, and gaskets are gaskets. Just seemed like a new thing that was happening. Hasn't been dripping THAT much oil in the past week. Again, I'm new to her though, so hard telling not knowing.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:59 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by SilverShark96
Hmm...You think that's all it is? The tank was very close to empty when I got it...

Where's the dipstick on her? I opened up the fuel cap but it's hard telling if she has enough oil. Maybe I should just change her oil and see if that's it. ... Where's the oil filter? ... Where's the alternator on her?

... It's dripping off the right side lower frame, so the source is a little hard to tell ...
The tank could have had rust in it, and it took a few rides for it to migrate thru to the carb. I think this is likely. Best to check it out.

Excellent idea to change the oil. The fuel tank is in the usual position on the frame; the oil tank is on the right side under the seat. The "fuel gauge" is the odometer - if it is a peanut tank you can get 60 to 90 miles depending. There should be an in-the-tank oil filter - remove the cap and there it is. You can see in if the oil is too low or not.

No alternator. The generator is in front of the front cylinder.

Do the paper towel procedure.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:01 AM
SilverShark96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IronMick
The tank could have had rust in it, and it took a few rides for it to migrate thru to the carb. I think this is likely. Best to check it out.

Excellent idea to change the oil. The fuel tank is in the usual position on the frame; the oil tank is on the right side under the seat. The "fuel gauge" is the odometer - if it is a peanut tank you can get 60 to 90 miles depending. There should be an in-the-tank oil filter - remove the cap and there it is. You can see in if the oil is too low or not.

No alternator. The generator is in front of the front cylinder.

Do the paper towel procedure.
Ok, so no "dipstick". How high should the oil level be in the oil tank? Just a visible oil brim? I guess I'll put straight 50wt oil in her. That acceptable? Where do you get your oil filters? An HD dealer?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member

check oil level only when bike is warmed up - prevents ths false low reading when it has "wet sumped"; the in-tank filter assembly has an oil level indicator

straight 50 will do

Old 03-30-2009, 01:04 PM
48pan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iron Mick's right. It could have taken a few rides to work it's way into the carb.

You can get the filter at the local HD dealer but it will be less expensive if you get it from an independant HD bike shop or on-line.

What type of carb was on that year? I know you're new and I don't mean condescending but it should be marked with the mfg name on one side or the other. If it's stock it should be a Bendix/Zenith or Kehien.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:17 PM
SilverShark96
Intermediate

Update:

So I just rolled her out of the garage and hooked the jumper cables up to my van (again, all her juice ran out trying to start her last time).

She started up after a few times working the starter. The choke was open so she was idling just fine for about a minute and a half. Then she started to bog down and just quit. Tried to start her again but with no luck.

Attached is a video of how she sounded when I tried to start her up the SECOND time, when the starter wouldn't catch. I don't know if it sounds right or what. Please help me out. Maybe this video will give some better idea on what's going on.

Also attached is a picture of the engine sump. I know it's not warmed up and expanded, but maybe there's something not so right there. Just trying to find something wrong.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LByjXCGaB6U

Attached Thumbnails Running rough - now won't start-oil_bag.jpg  
Old 03-31-2009, 04:39 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

First check ignition timing ( sounds that it's too advanced ) then get your self good jumper cables AT LEAST as thick as your battery cables 1 AWG or 2 AWG will just do. With those thin wires you will burn your car and bike.
You have a S&S E carb so be careful with enricher you foul your spark plugs very easy. Just when engine "just promise" to start turn down enricher. Just 2-3 turns from throttle will start engine.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 AM
48pan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull your plugs and see how they look. They may be fouled. It doesn't sound like you're getting any spark. Sepixlh is right, get the manual and check your timing. Points or electronic? If points, look at the points and see if they have the proper gap and they're in good condition. I have a S&S super B on mine, super E is on the bench waiting on installation, They can be a little tricky but they are good carbs. Your idle mixture may be off.

Take some money and invest in a battery charger. You'll appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Running rough - now won't start