Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

'75 ironhead starting problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 AM
'75 Chop
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '75 ironhead starting problem...

Hey y'all,
Up until recently my ironhead ran good and the electric start was always dependable. Bottom line is now it won't start. I noticed it was gradually turning over slower and it would take a few pushes of the button before firing and the first 2 pushes it would usually just clunk and stop turning over. I assumed the battery had seen a better day and put a new one in and now it will only turn the starter motor over real slowly and doesn't sound like it's even trying to engage. I know sometimes it can be a connection problem but everything seems to be alright. I'm a poor boy so I'm hoping someone on here knows because I can't afford to be buying starters and solenoids etc. unless that's the definite problem. Please help... thanks,
'75 Chop

Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 AM
TheEddie
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your battery cables? I am working on a 77 and my battery to starter cable was corroded/cracked to the point that it was having a hard time supplying enough juice! Just an idea.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 AM
'75 Chop
Intermediate

I'll check it out. Thanks, it's appreciated...
'75 Chop

Old 02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
jcsportster
Cruiser

If the starter is turning over sounds like the circuit is complete, but just doesnt have enough "umph" to get it going. If the battery is new, did you charge it. The last two new batteries I bought they told me to charge it before installing it. Just because it reads 12 volts doesnt mean the amps are there to get her going. If the battery is fully charged, then do like "TheEddie" said and check for bad or corroded connections. Sounds like its not getting a full charge to starter which could be bad connection or something draining battery. Could be a bad starter, or something hanging up in drive. Could even be something in motor dragging it down making it hard to turn over. I'd start with the easiest and least expensive things first. Fuuly charged battery, good cables and connections.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:11 PM
'75 Chop
Intermediate

Yes it's acting like it's not getting enough juice. Thanks for the advice and sounds like a plan...
Appreciate it,
'75 Chop

Old 02-26-2009, 03:17 PM
98glider
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

let us know what you find Thanks

Old 02-26-2009, 03:57 PM
'75 Chop
Intermediate

O.k., the battery was a little low so I fully charged it and same thing. It turns the motor over slowly but not even close to what it needs to fire. I then started checking the wiring and noticed that after a couple quick tries to start it the bolt on the solenoid that the battery wire runs to is extremely hot and the bolt that runs to the starter is cool. Is this a tell tale sign of a solenoid problem?

Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 PM
scottericsonon
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

too many amps being drawn by the selenoid for whatever reason........

before you run out and by a new one make sure you TRIPLE check the wire thats getting hot and all of its connections to make sure everything there is up to snuff

if everything is clean and tight and the wire is good etc then replace selenoid

scott

Old 02-27-2009, 07:13 AM
'75 Chop
Intermediate

Great, thanks scott! If the solenoid is drawing too many amps would that cause the starter to turn over slowly? The connections are tight and the wire looks clean and undamaged so what would be the best way to find out if it's the wire causing the problem? If the solenoid is drawing too many amps does that eliminate the starter as the problem? Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to make sense of it all as I haven't dealt with this problem before... Thanks again,
'75 Chop

Old 02-27-2009, 07:30 AM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Each of these parts, the solenoid, the starter motor, [and the starter relay also] is quite simple, easy to dismantle, clean, inspect, and put back together. The solenoid and the starter are probably quite filthy inside with grease, black dust, etc. I would go thru thru these two with some spray can electrical contacts cleaner.

Quick Reply: '75 ironhead starting problem...