Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:39 AM
hardtail61
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice

just had topend done want to paint jugs and heads, got the VHT my question about curing can says to bake in three steps. I know one of you guys have exp. with this HELP! By the way engine not put back together yet.
Thanks as always!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 AM
popstheoldman
Cruiser

i cured mine in the summer sun turned out sweeeetor for now i would use an infra-red light its as close as you can get should turn out just fine

try it you'll like it

Old 02-08-2009, 04:19 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Is that the 1500`F paint? I find the 1200`F paints to be satisfactory, and they have less complicated curing - usually just cure by running the engine.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:06 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

And of course you can paint them and them stick them in an oven set at 400°F for an hour or so.
It is a bit messy if you are careless of course.

I would cover a cookie sheet or two with tin foil, then spray the cylinders and heads one at a time on the cookie sheet. Take the cookie sheet and slide it into an oven and bake. Because of oven size limitations you will have to do a cylinder at a time most likely.
I do this when the wife is not around the house, peel the foil off when done and she will never know what went on, except for the strange smell of paint in the kitchen. .......pg

Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

... or you could use the propane BBQ if you are uncertain about the little wifey's reaction to you messing with her kitchen.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

I literally just got done doing this, using the same paint. Here's what I did.

1. Buy a large convection oven for the shop/garage. You can get a cheap one for 40-120 bucks at walmart or target.

2. If step 1 is out of the question then use your oven in your house. PG is correct. MAKE ABSOLUTE CERTAIN YOUR WIFE IS NOT AROUND. That was the biggest mistake I ever made. I have never heard one person complain so much about the smell!!

3. Make sure to leave your parts painted untouched for a good 3 hours (overnight is best). After they have sat and dried completely then take the part(s) and put them in your oven and set it to 250. Let it bake for 30 minutes.

4. After it has baked for 30 minutes. Cut the oven off, crack the oven door, and let it cool for 30 minutes.

5. Close the oven door, set the oven temp to 400, bake for 30 minutes

6. After it has baked for 30 minutes. Cut the oven off, crack the oven door, and let it cool for 30 minutes.

7. Close the oven door, set the oven temp to 600 (most ovens don't have this so I used the highest it would go before turning on the broiler), and let it bake for 30 minutes.

8. After it has baked for 30 minutes. Cut the oven off, crack the oven door, and let it cool for 30 minutes.

9. Carefully remove the part(s) from the motor and take it to your garage. Once it cools completely it should be pretty resiliant to scratching and chipping.

Notes: The part will smoke when in the oven (after all it has had oil pumping through it and does have carbon deposits in it). It will stink, but just turn on some fans. Its actually not that hard and besides it taking a while you'll like the results.

Last edited by supr2nr; 02-08-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

And to Suprn2r's comments I will add..........
I recently rebuilt my Chevy 350 engine (again) and wanted to paint the exhaust manifolds with the High Temp paint. I used the VHT paint and just sprayed both manifolds and let them dry in the sun. At the end of the day I could pick then up as they were dry to the touch, but not really dry if you know what I mean. They felt kinda oily. I put them away until I needed to bolt them to the engine right before I put it into the van.
When I fired up the engine a few days later they dried really nice with the heat produced by the engine. I don't know what the header temp is, but I bet it is a bit more than the oven, and the wife is smiling over the choice I made there..........pg

Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM
hardtail61
6th Gear

I thank you gents as always, Looks like the O.L. will be winning herself a free trip this weekend.So as I can spend V-day f...in up the kitchen LOL.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

yah that ceramic paint is real fragile until it has really cured. Until then like you said PG, it can feel like the paint will come off in your hands.

hardtail61, nothing says I love you more on valentines day than tearing up your wife's kitchen and making it smell to high heaven!