Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

rear mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:36 AM
shepdog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear mount

i just had my motor out of my late 84 xl to put gaskets and seals in it checked verything looked ok, but after i put it all back together and was putting my chain on i found that the rear mount is cracked where the top bolts go down thru the block, can i get that mount out without pulling the motor again?or should i leave it alone?

Old 01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by shepdog
i just had my motor out of my late 84 xl to put gaskets and seals in it checked verything looked ok, but after i put it all back together and was putting my chain on i found that the rear mount is cracked where the top bolts go down thru the block, can i get that mount out without pulling the motor again?or should i leave it alone?
I am not sure on a 1984, but if it is the same as a 1974 and earlier, not only do you have to pull the engine out of the frame.....you also have to split the cases.
If you get lucky you will be able to 'unscrew' the studs out of the left side crankcase half, remove the engine mount and then install a new mount and thread the studs back into the case. The engine still has to come out though.
It will take a good bit of luck to be able to do this however because at least one of the studs are usually really tight.

Here is my recommendation:
Since the mount is broken, it is no doubt made of aluminum. My '71 had an aluminum rear mount and it cracked also. I was able to find an older mount made of steel (steel mounts are becoming a very rare thing these days) and installed that on mine.
If all I could have found was an aluminum mount, then I would not have bothered changing it out. Most of the aluminum mounts crack sooner or later (sooner mostly) and another replacement is going to do the same.
I suggest you not be concerned with the cracked mount. It is there to hold the rear of the engine and has top bolts going into the block and side studs holding things tight left to right. In other words.....the engine is not going anywhere. Just keep running it with the cracks and I believe it will be fine. If you happen to come across an old steel mount though, grab it up if you can get it for $50 to $75 and then consider replacing the cracked mount.........pg

Old 01-11-2009, 04:36 PM
shepdog
Tourer

that is what i was hoping you would say thanks pinion ill leave it alone!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM
IronMick
Stellar HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

There is a Pingle brand that costs more but will not crack or break. www.pingleonline.com

Old 01-12-2009, 08:06 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

The Pingel motor mount is advertised to fit Sportsters through 1981. That makes me think they won't fit the '82-'85 models, so those of us with the last of the Ironheads are probably stuck with the stock-type mounts when/if replacement is required.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM
shepdog
Tourer

thought about trying to make one, ill have to get the old one out and get a good look at it