Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Thin Skin? You tell me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:33 AM
Moon Wolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thin Skin? You tell me.

Hey Guys,

I'm only an occasional contributor to this forum--I log in mostly just to see what Pinion Gear has to say--but in general I like the fact this forum exists and enjoy checking the posts several times a week.

I do own six Ironheads and blog for an online motorcycle magazine. I also post to a number of other forums. I mention this only to establish the fact I've been around awhile, and I'm not trying to be a rabble rouser of any sort.

At any rate, I don't know who this "Terry" is. Another member suggested he was the forum owner. I have no idea if this is true, but I find his interventions incredibly annoying.

To wit, a recent post about terminology. For some reason, he felt it necessary to impose himself into the conversation. I just reread the thread and could find nothing particularly rude or controversial, just a bunch of Ironhead guys blowing steam. I had nothing more to say on the subject, but certainly didn't mind reading the ongoing posts. Terry, however, thought it was time to close the thread.

Whether he owns the forum or not, I find it insulting and overbearing that a guy posting a picture of late model Evo dresser would find it necessary to to impose on (and end) the conversation. I'm fairly certain that this is not the first time he's felt it necessary to referee. I would think instead it's his job to facilitate, if he knows enough to do so.

Am I being thin skinned? You tell me.

Last edited by Moon Wolf; 10-06-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 AM
pyro
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the risk of getting this thread closed also...

While I don't disagree with you, I do enjoy the fact that for the most part we don't have alot of the petty, nit-picky, silly B.S. that goes on in the much of the site. However, I think we and have done a pretty good job at policing ourselves and really don't need intervention.

We do seem to have alot more newbe traffic (in this forum anyway) and I think that's great, get those Ironheads on the road, but what I don't like to see are silly or stupid questions, or guys who, not only got their first "old" bike, got their FIRST bike, and then, knowing nothing about what they got, start asking questions without even trying to research the info in the manual let alone in past forum threads. Those are the guys that need to be kicked in shins and having admins that want to hold all of our hands and protect us from hurt feelings just plain sucks.

No, you're not being thin-skinned.

Rich

Old 10-06-2008, 07:28 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Terry doesn't own the forums, but is the head Admin. He intervened in the thread you're referring to for one simple reason - one or more guys saw fit to toss out some good ol' fashioned derogatory name-callin'. Whether that bothers you or not, and whether you agree or not, it is a violation of the forum's rules.

To add something else - If you have a problem with a Moderator or an Admin, PM them directly rather than posting it up on the open forums. They're easy to identify 'cause it says Admin or Moderator beside/below their names.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Moon Wolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How the forum is mediated is a legitimate topic for open debate. I don't know Terry (and was fairly certain he did not own the forum--I was quoting another member), but if he had said something to me personally, I would responded in kind. Since he has interjected himself into the discussion, however, his comments and roll would appear fair game. This seems a matter calling for open and transparent discussion among forum members about the forum, not any sort of private correspondence.

Your defense, however, is well taken and more to the point. Reading over the posts, it appears one poster deleted something from his message. I do not what was originally said, but if a post violates forum rules, wouldn't the appropriate response be to delete the post, not end the discussion? I agree that we shouldn't call each other names; I do not agree, however, that an outside arbiter should end a discussion.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Tailbreaker
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

I did not read the thread in question, but I can tell you that Terry has always been extremly helpful to me and that being an admin. is a very thankless job.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished reading the entire thread. Terry gave a friendly warning, (you say "imposed himself") to act civil and someone couldn't take a hint.
To answer your question, Yes, you are.

Last edited by Wecroft; 10-06-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
crampfan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blow it off, it's only the internet, you will never meet anyone on here. It's fun to stir it up sometimes, and get a thread locked. f*** authority. I guess it's the biker in me.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 AM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

cmon it would turn into a jungle if there was not a moderator.every decent forum has a moderator.i was turned onto this site from an unmoderated craigslist forum.it was barely worth posting a question.if you are just here on occaision why would you let it bother you.i visit a couple other sections of this site but the ironhead section is why i am here.i would like to have everyone here in a good mood and not at each others throats.ive been a little irritated here before but ..no big deal.i am here because i need help.if you have 6 ironheads you must have alot of ironhead info.forget this nonsense and help people with their bikes.not trying to be a jerk but just adding my 2 cents.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 AM
campsurf
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have 6 ironheads you must have alot of ironhead info.forget this nonsense and help people with their bikes.
Fogetaboutit.....

Jim