Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Countershaft Sprocket & New Chain 70 xlch

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:39 PM
renotunes
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Countershaft Sprocket & New Chain 70 xlch

I am about to embark on changing my countershaft sprocket, rear wheel and sprocket, and install a new chain before heading out next weekend 300 miles south of where I am. Need a bike vacation in the mountains. I've been reading my shop manuals.

I have the 23t CS Sprocket, the 51t rear sprocket and wheel. I have to purchase a chain by next Friday. A friend w/ a shop has offered to help me do it.

1.) I have read elsewhere that there may be some minor grinding to do on the inside of the case w/ the 23t replacemnet sprocket going from 19t. Is this true or does it retrofit easily ??

2.) I am also considering an "o" ring chain. Is there enough clearance to install both 23t sprocket and o ring chain w/o much grinding, or should I stay w/ the standard Diamond chain? From what I have read, the o ing chain is a bit wider.

Does anyone have experience w/ these parts on a 70 xlch? It seems to be a "transitional" year for the XLCH. 57-69 parts are somewhat available, and 71 thru 84 seem to be available. I have found some 1970 xlch items not available when those years I mentioned above parts are available for the xlch.

You're help would be appreciated. I am tearing into it next Friday evening, and leaving next Sunday pm and want to anticipate evry curve ball so I don't get stuck and held up w/o the proper parts and not be able to make the trip. The 19t sprocket keeps the bike at high RPMs at 65 mph, and will beat my 54 year old body up on a 4-6 hour ride.

Thanks ahead-Steve

Old 10-05-2008, 02:06 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Go to a 22T trans sprocket I like Tsubaki chain ( Std not oring ) Make sure you red locktite that 4th gear nut (left hand thread ) ?

Old 10-05-2008, 04:18 PM
renotunes
Advanced

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
Go to a 22T trans sprocket I like Tsubaki chain ( Std not oring ) Make sure you red locktite that 4th gear nut (left hand thread ) ?
Why the 22t? Any reason behind that?

23t was recommended many in a previous discussion on this Forum.

Thanks, Steve

Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

No reason I just wanted to keep you from getting a speeding ticket !

Old 10-05-2008, 08:00 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by renotunes
Why the 22t? Any reason behind that?

23t was recommended many in a previous discussion on this Forum.

Thanks, Steve
Steve,
I would encourage you (again) to use the 23T sprocket.
A standard Diamond chain is what I would buy myself.
The O ring chain is going to be wider and may cause a clearance problem with a 23T. I once tried to put one of those Jap chains on my 23T and it was way too wide, so I quickly gave up and put the Diamond on it.
The only other thing I can suggest is to be sure and install the masterlink correctly. With the masterlink on the top run of chain, the split in the masterlink lock must face the rear of the machine.
Good luck on your ride and be sure to pack a few tools and a screwdriver as insurance.............pg

Old 10-05-2008, 09:28 PM
renotunes
Advanced

PG,

Thanks. I plan to stick w/ the 23t. Already have it. Diamond it is. I got the new rear wheel and rear sprocket preped for install today.

Tool kit is packed and mounted. I have some servicing to do this week in prep for the ride. Got a new battey, a sissy bar bag,a titanium riding jacket, gloves, & pants comming this week too. I am tweaked and ready for this ride. I have wanted to do this all summer. My brother in law is planning to go as well. We are going to the Gila Cliff dwellings in Southern NM. He heard I was going, got jealous, and invited himself and I agreed. He has an '07 M109 Suzuki, (that's his problem !! LOL) that's why I really want that 23 on there, so he don't have to drop back so much. Thing's a freakin' rocket, but I wouldn't have one myself. Not my style.

Thanks for checking in.

Steve

Old 10-05-2008, 09:54 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

[quote=renotunes;3957285]PG,

Thanks. I plan to stick w/ the 23t. Already have it. Diamond it is. I got the new rear wheel and rear sprocket preped for install today.

Tool kit is packed and mounted. I have some servicing to do this week in prep for the ride. Got a new battey, a sissy bar bag,a titanium riding jacket, gloves, & pants comming this week too. I am tweaked and ready for this ride. I have wanted to do this all summer. My brother in law is planning to go as well. We are going to the Gila Cliff dwellings in Southern NM. He heard I was going, got jealous, and invited himself and I agreed. He has an '07 M109 Suzuki, (that's his problem !! LOL) that's why I really want that 23 on there, so he don't have to drop back so much. Thing's a freakin' rocket, but I wouldn't have one myself. Not my style./quote]
A ride buddy is the best insurance you can have. Beats a pouch full of tools (sometimes anyway) and the trip will be better with two instead of one. Gila Cliff Dwellings! I have been there. I just love that country out there. Every time I get a chance to leave this place, my preferred direction is anywhere, as long as it is west from here.
You will like the 23T. Let him light the fuse on his rice burner and you can catch up with him at the next fuel stop.
Have a good trip.......pg

Old 10-06-2008, 09:06 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

I run a 23 and don't use an 0-ring chain, either - there's just not enough comfortable clearance under the cover or beside the rear tire. I'll second the choice of a Diamond chain. I've been running one for about a year now and it's the best chain I've ever had. No tight spots yet and it has needed very little adjustment since it broke in.