Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

'83 XLH1000, overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Aldamar
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad idea to check the bolts, first. Stuff gets loose, right?

On to more inquisitiveness. A test ride with the adjusted timing on the highway was in order this morning. Results were, sadly, a failure. On my adventure, grabbed some seafoam and added some of that to the tank, picked up a new pair of NGK's, and made a carb adjustment in the parking lot.

Ride home wasn't on the highway, but I brought the RPM's up to where I usually have trouble in third gear instead of fourth. Under sustained running, seemed purdy good.

Back home, tinkered some - adjusted idle. Thought I saw, a couple times, the bike smoking from the carb. Then checked my throttle response at idle. Snapped the throttle, backfired through the carb (not a pop, a good loud crack that scared the ******* out of me). What in blazes makes a bike crack like that?

Thoughts and suggestions as welcome as ever. Assuming my timing is good now, I thought this sounded like a pushrod / valve adjustment of some sort...?

- Al

EDIT: Just tried out the timing method from the video. When I first opened this up, timing was adjusted fully clockwise. Yesterday did some with an inductive light, wound up somewhere in the middle. With the method in the video, I wind up adjusted fully counterclockwise. Curious enough.

Last edited by Aldamar; 04-30-2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: additional info.: