Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Oil spasher washer ??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:07 PM
charleysharley
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Oil spasher washer ??????

I recently traded for a 78 ironhead it was non running but in great shape ,I was told a few things that made me decide to pull the oil pump and check the cams ,I removed the case cover and discovered a half dollar sized washer inside the case laying below the cams ,I also took the oil pump apart and found a small peice of what I am assuming is part of that
washer lodged under the lower gear on the oil pump . It seems to be no dammage to the pump except the pin was sheared wich I have replaced and have cleaned all oil and debris from that side of the engine case , now heres my question did the 78 have a washer on the generator and is that washer refered too as a oil slinger washer? what is the purpose and why cant I remove and or not put it back on in my reassembly ... Also anyone with rebuild info on this bike /engine that would allow me to pick their brain I could sure use a ear and hand on trying to get this bike in running condition without breaking an already starving piggy bank ... I repair small engines for a living but have never rebuilt this bike or engine and want to ask a few questions and our local guy doesnt seem to care to much for the sportsters and trying to repair them so im at the mercy of my own poor reading skills to learn anything about this bike ,I can be contacted directly at charleykoal1@yahoo.com , Any help would be greatly appreciated OH and yes I bought a Clymer repair book first thing ******

Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The washer was used to at least 1978. If you found the washer there also should be a 5/16 lock nut floating around also. You need the washer which is called an oil separator. It aids is separating the oil from the exhaust air in the breathing system. Pick up the parts manual for your model also, shows exploded drawings and lets you know what parts to order and what years are interchangeable. There are lots of knowledgeable people on the forum that can help you out.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
mojo2go
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
The washer was used to at least 1978. If you found the washer there also should be a 5/16 lock nut floating around also. You need the washer which is called an oil separator. It aids is separating the oil from the exhaust air in the breathing system. Pick up the parts manual for your model also, shows exploded drawings and lets you know what parts to order and what years are interchangeable. There are lots of knowledgeable people on the forum that can help you out.
Those oil separator washers were used through '85 according to my parts book. I think in '79 Harley went to a nut and lockwasher to hold it on the generator shaft. You're 100% right about the parts manual. They are a must when working on the older Ironheads and a factory shop manual is recommended. Reprints are available on E-bay for reasonable prices.