Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Newbie needs help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM
refloyd
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help

I just bought a 1976 Sportster about a week ago, and just put a battery on it so i could start riding it. I fired it up tonight and let it warm up for a minute. After it warmed up some i turned the choke off and started to ease on the throttle and it boggs down everytime i do it. Also when i put it into gear it will die and wont resart until i get it into neutral. One final major problem i think is when i shut it off after getting it into the shed i could hold onto the rear pipe and nopt get burnt, but i touch the front pipe and it burns the crapout of my hand. What could be causing these problems and how do i fix them.
&nbsp\\;
By the way I have no experience with a harley other than this one and riding my buddies bike.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie needs help

Sounds like your rear cylinder is not firing. Pull the plugs and see how they look. How long had it been sitting before your started it? Hopefully you changed the fluids and drained the gas. I need more info to help you more.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
refloyd
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the man that i bought it from had just had a&nbsp\\;new S&amp\\;S carb put on it, fuel tank repaired, and fluids changed out. I put fresh gas in it and a new battery. I have not checked the plugs on it yet, but i will do that tomorrow after work.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, so again it sounds like you do not have any fire in the rear cylinder, which could be as simple as a bad spark plug. You might just swap plugs and see which cylinder then fires. If the rear still does not, then it could be plug wire, coil or more. Let me know and feel free to PM me.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Buy the service manual and parts manual for your model.&nbsp\\; If you plan to keep the bike you are going to need it.&nbsp\\; Plus since you have no experiance with Harley's it will make it easier to ask questions if you can identify the parts.