Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

front end wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:07 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: front end wobble

The friggin lower cup is loose and you still took it out for a ride?
Remember that M.A.S.H. theme song - Suicide is Painless
It ain't!
DO NOT RIDE THAT THING UNTIL YOU GET IT FIXED!!!!

Old 07-06-2008, 05:19 AM
csd4682
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only thing I can think to use is jb weld to hold everything where it should go, That or get a new set of machined cups, these are brand new I guess I need to contact the people who made them and see what they will do for me. Im sure jb weld would do the trick, my only concern would be that I would probably never get it off if I needed to.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:04 AM
csd4682
Advanced

So i did some more looking around on this here interweb, and found another company that makes these custom machined cups. This new site I found says to press and "weld the cups" I wonder if the ones I bought require welding, and the company failed to mention this. It seems kinda dumb to have to weld them, as you can never take them off. If I use jb weld I could probably get them loose with a dremel tool. I sent an email to the company I bought from to see if they will send me a new set. Oh yeah, im only 26 so mash is a little before my time, but I think I understand what your saying.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:50 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

JB Weld is great stuff.
The wife of the dude who invented it lives up the road a bit off I-30.
It is not for doing something like this.
First thing you need to do is contact the manufacturer of your present cups and tell them what is going on.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Horse13
Advanced

DO THE JOB CORRECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you do not know how &amp\\; can't handle it..........find somebody that can. This is TOO CRITICAL of an area to slide by with some "half-*** repair ATTEMPT".
Notice the key words here&gt\\;"half-*** repair ATTEMPT".
DO NOT DO THIS..........
PERIOD!
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 03:25 PM
csd4682
Advanced

Horse13, You need to settle down a little bit, no one here is getting crazy, there are a thousand tricks people use to fix things on these old bikes. In no way, shape, or form, am I looking to do this "half assed", and if I knew what I was doing, I certianly wouldnt be here seeking peoples council on this topic. Now, by the time I am done with this project I will&nbsp\\;know more than most on this paticular front end set up, because I will have taken down and rebuilt at least 3 times, read service manuals from several generations/models, and endless online articles. You see this is what makes the smart people even smarter, they may not have the answer, but the have the ability to set their pride aside and go find the answer. You very well may just think your being helpfull, but this is not the first time i've seen you burst into a topic with your chest all bowed out. A lot of people are new to these bikes&nbsp\\;the last thing they need is a smart-***, thats ready to show it.&nbsp\\; Let me step off my box, and I will give everyone an update. I talked to the person who made the cups (billetwerkz) this is one stand up guy, I am sending him my oem cups, and the ones he made, he is going to do a measurement, and make a new set to the size of the old, and send them all back to me. I was able to call him on a sunday, and he was very willing to help me. If anyone reading this is concidering a front end swap, he is the guy to use for your&nbsp\\;cups. Horse, im not wanting to start a pissing contest via the internet, so I hope we can leave all of this right here.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Horse13
Advanced

ORIGINAL: csd4682

Horse13, You need to settle down a little bit, no one here is getting crazy, there are a thousand tricks people use to fix things on these old bikes. In no way, shape, or form, am I looking to do this "half assed", and if I knew what I was doing, I certianly wouldnt be here seeking peoples council on this topic. Now, by the time I am done with this project I will&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;know more than most on this paticular front end set up, because I will have taken down and rebuilt at least 3 times, read service manuals from several generations/models, and endless online articles. You see this is what makes the smart people even smarter, they may not have the answer, but the have the ability to set their pride aside and go find the answer. You very well may just think your being helpfull, but this is not the first time i've seen you burst into a topic with your chest all bowed out. A lot of people are new to these bikes&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;the last thing they need is a smart-***, thats ready to show it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Let me step off my box, and I will give everyone an update. I talked to the person who made the cups (billetwerkz) this is one stand up guy, I am sending him my oem cups, and the ones he made, he is going to do a measurement, and make a new set to the size of the old, and send them all back to me. I was able to call him on a sunday, and he was very willing to help me. If anyone reading this is concidering a front end swap, he is the guy to use for your&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;cups. Horse, im not wanting to start a pissing contest via the internet, so I hope we can leave all of this right here.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Hmmmmmmmmmm...........Boy people sure do feel attacked WAY TOO FRIGGIN EASY!...Sure are a lot of timid humans&nbsp\\; out there who feel attacked WAY TOO EASY!......Lighten up SON...........nobody is getting into any pissing contest or anything else.........IT IS ALL IN YOUR OWN MIND........YOU ARE IMAGINING SOMETHING THAT DOES NOT EXIST. Is this clear enough?????&nbsp\\;
Fact is.........I was trying to stress how important attaching your front end CORRECTLY to your bike is IN ORDER TO MAYBE SAVE YOUR LIFE...........but sorry I bothered now.
It ain't no skin off my *** if you kill yourself because you don't understand the mechanics of a front end on a motorcycle.&nbsp\\;I've only been building and riding these "old bikes" for over 30 years.........What do I know? ha ha ha! So.........again.............sorry I bothered to reply to your post. I won't make the mistake again and disturb your delicate sensibilities.............
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-06-2008, 09:01 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That is exactly the correct fix for the loose cup problem!
New cups should press in the frame nice and snug and you have solved the problem. Good going..........pg