Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Removing the Advance Assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Rat bike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the Advance Assembly?

Hey all,
It's me again. Need an expert's advice. I got some backfiring going on and have bought a new advance flyweight assembly for my 72 ironhead, but the old one is stuck. The register roll pin is jammed so far in that I can't get a grip to pull it to remove the advance assembly. Any dirty tricks to out smart a stuborn bike?
Thanks,
Rat bike out

Old 06-27-2008, 11:02 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Removing the Advance Assembly?

Is the register pin fitted into a blind hole? I forget as it has been a long time since I had one apart.
If it is a through hole then of course you want to knock it out from the other end.
But, I suspect it is a blind hole or you would not have asked the question.
Since it is a roll pin and has that split in it, running a small tap into the hole in the roll pin center will only expand the pin making it grab more. The way I would do it is to get a drill bit that just goes into that roll pin hole. Then select the next larger size and drill into the pin. I am talking about letter sized drill bits here, not fractional ones.
I believe the drill bit will grab the pin and spin it, allowing you to withdraw the bit and the pin at the same time.
If the drill instead drills into the pin, thats OK too. Put the next size bit into the drill and go at it again. The pin will come out soon.......pg