Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Mikuni Carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Rat bike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mikuni Carb

Hay all just a few questions what screw is what? And how do i fix the throttle cable to the carb.I will need a new cable, but how is it gona attach?
And any of you got a old style air filterwith the holse clamp mount,im realy looking for the old 70s stargazer filterwith the crome mesh. If so please let me knowI cant find any onjp or ebay
Thanks all for your help.

Ratbike out

[IMG]local://upfiles/34768/35D0152B84F0400989D94204120C036E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Mikuni Carb

Ratbike.......
The 'little screw' is your low speed air/fuel mixture adjustment screw.
The 'large screw'' is the idle speed screw.
The idle speed screw has a pointed/blunted end on it that rests against the round carb slide. As you turn the screw inward the pointed/blunted end hits the slide and begins to lift it up. This is the same action as opening your throttle grip just a bit.

The little screw is the mixture adjustment for the low speed.
The high speed is conducted through a fixed size main jet.

If you are not familar with this carb, let me go over what you have to do to set it up.

1) Unscrew the top of the round slide. Look at the first photo of mine and notice the 90° elbow fitting for the throttle cable. Your cable should have this fitting.

2) Remove the slide cap top. There will be a large coil spring under it.
There will also be the throttle slide (barrel) under that spring. Pull all of the items out of the carb body. Inside the slide will be the jet needle and there will be a flat metal clip on it. Your throttle cable connects to the slide here.
The second photo shows this needle. This needle is connected to the slide at the top with the clip sitting in one of the 5 notches in the needle. Your clip needs to be in the middle notch, or 3rd from the top.
This needle is tapered on the bottom end. This taper fits down into the main jet hole, sealing off the gas flow. As you open the throttle, the slide raises up and the needle does so as well. When the throttle is wide open the needle is out of the main jet and you are at top speed.
3) The final photo shows the main jet body (called out) and this is where the tapered needle end sits. Notice to the right of the carb is the slide.....the silver barrel.
Also look at the idle screw on the right side of the body. See how the beveled end coes into where the slide sits? This bevel is what raises the slide as you screw it in to increase the idle speed.

If you need more info and photos just let me know and I will take some.
I can show you how to attach the cable, adjust the idle, low speed etc better with a few shots of the parts. These are all the pics I have of the Mikuni at present.

A note of caution here is in order: You cannot get parts for this carb anymore. I mean nothing is available, not even a float bowl gasket. Has not been available since before 1999, so take very good care of what you have.
In my opinion, this is the absolute best carburator you could possibly own. Mikuni stopped making the round slide carb many years back. I got mine in 1975. Good luck and if you need more info just let me know............pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/208CDEFF44F241068E1D1B7A48318AA3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/576DC58467104F8192048A28A8DBFC0C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/BBC9FC14DD4244F48725D5C47AF4753A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2008, 05:39 AM
Rat bike
Intermediate

Thank you for all you help and info.&nbsp\\; My bike will be on the rode in a few days&nbsp\\;thanks agen for all the help.
Rat bike out&nbsp\\;

Old 06-08-2008, 08:23 AM
supr2nr
Tourer

Hey rat bike. I kind of want to comment a bit on piniongears comment about how parts aren't available.&nbsp\\; That comment is sort of confusing.&nbsp\\; Parts are available it's just that they are no longer made by mikuni.&nbsp\\; Aftermarket vendors do make replacement parts but they are hard to find.&nbsp\\; Sudco is a great place to find them at.&nbsp\\; They only take orders by the phone though.&nbsp\\; Their catalog of parts, and pricing are at www.sudco.com

Old 06-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Rat bike
Intermediate

thank you Randy I found a few places on line that sell mikuni parts. Now im gona check out Sudco. If any of ya have the old mess aircleaner cover with the foam element that mounts to a mikuni for sale please let me know.
Thanks
Rat bike
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM
420rider
Novice

v-twin sells a&nbsp\\; kit that has a new carb.cable, ect.and mikuni web site has all the specs you need to tune it.good luck.