Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

72 chopper value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 AM
RichLo
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 chopper value?

Hi, I am in the market for an old hd chopper. I found one that is a bank reposession with a clear title.

a few details about it:
72 hd I think xlc but might be ch
its a kicker only but it looks like the starter was taken off and a blocking plate put in where it used to be.
raked and streched at the frame with 6 over tubes... the bike sits perfectly level, no cracks or bubbles in the paint at the welds in thetree
add-on hard tail, looks like a weld-on kit for a stock sporty chassis
tranny has some slop and will probably have to be replaced... lots of kicker slop and was falling into 1st as I was trying to start it.
we didnt get the engine started when we looked at it and I wouldnt trust it to run, so figure that will have to be replaced aswell
has a nice S&S super E carb
has drag pipes
has custom sheet metal gas tank, looks like 2.5-3gal.
has a king-queen seat with no rips
has a custom sissy bar
almost new tires
has 15-16" ape hangers
has forward controls... very far forward, Im 6"0" and my legs were competely streched out.
nice spoke wheels that can be polished up to a nice shine, no rust.

the bank was originally asking $2200 I got her down to 1750 before I looked at it then down to 1500 before I had to walk away because of the motor and tranny issues

any idea what I should settle for if the bank is willing to go down lower?
and how much would a used running iron head motorwith tranny and starter cost?

thanks for the help

Old 05-23-2008, 10:30 AM
redbull
Intermediate
Default RE: 72 chopper value?

Hey, I don't know if you are familiar with Ironheads or not. I purchased a '71 Ironhead on E-bay for $2,500 and it had all the stuff you mentioned, but ran. I have had it for two years now and have put approximately $1K into it to keep it running. I added electronic ignition and new coil, custom oil filter W/mount ect... If you are not scared to get dirty from working on the scoot then I'd say check out an ironhead. If not, I'd say spend the extra cash and get something newer. You can pick up newer sportsters for 4-5 grand. I am going to keep my sportster because it's one of a kind. I view it as a classic vehicle. Do what it takes to keep it going.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 AM
RichLo
Banned

Thats really what Im looking for, a unique old custom bike. I would much rather have a well done one of a kind bike in the garage half the time rather then a new stock sportythat is mainenance free.I dont mind wrenching on my bike and I fully expect to be working on this bike more then riding it. andI wouldnt have it any other way to keep these classics on the road.

I wouldnt mind putting in a newer more reliable motor (I would actually prefer that)but I dont think I would be able to cash out the $$$ to geta newer setupand still be able to ride it a little this year. Im on a budget like everybody else and I dont want to take out a loan just for a fun toy.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Horse13
Advanced

ORIGINAL: RichLo

I wouldnt mind putting in a newer more reliable motor (I would actually prefer that)but I dont think I would be able to cash out the $$$ to geta newer setupand still be able to ride it a little this year. Im on a budget like everybody else and I dont want to take out a loan just for a fun toy.
In reality, you may have just answered your own question. This Sportster chopper you are describing is a "fun toy".
You will have to work on it and there is a reason it is not running. It could very well cost a lot if the engine needs a complete rebuild from the bottom up.Good chanceit does.

So, unless you are willing to spend lots of money and do lots or wrenching, I'd stay away from this chopper.

But, if you really want an Ironhead, love to work on bikes and are willing to dump some cash into a "project" because it's the bike you really want. Well, I'd offer no more than $1000 for the bike you describe. Right now it is a non-running "project" in reality and "maybe" even junk and only good for parts.

And be ready for a hard ride, with vibration and constant tweaking to keep running. This is reality. Have you ever rode an old HD chopper? If not, maybe you should before you commit to one. They ain't for most people.

With that being said.

Hey, it will look sweet. Ipersonally LOVEa chopper and would love this type bike. You just have to be real with yourself about what you really want and why.

Hope this bloated answer helps you with your dilemma.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:30 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts

I've bought a few projects over the last 2 years and from your description, you are in for a lot of time and money on that bike. As for the tranny, maybe it's just the pawl carrier or maybe the whole thing is shot....either way, look to spend time and money on the tranny.

I won't even bring up the problems you are bound to have with stripped threads.

You said you were not sure about the motor....replacing the motor with a new motor is about the same as buying a running bike....you can hard-tail a bike for about 200 bucks so it's really not clear what you are gaining.

The stuff that sounded good is stuff a lot of us buy used on eBay or at swap meets for pennies on the dollar.....

$1000 sounds like a deal but keep in mind the headaches may not be worth it. PLUS, if it is custom many parts are not going to be stock..trust me, this can be a real problem

Old 05-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Stubborn
6th Gear

I just was looking around for a 70's Ironhead, Basket Cases XLCH were going for around 1200-1500, frames for 200-800, running bike with problems, or not completed were 1000-2000. Good running bikes or almost completed with new parts were over 2000- 4000.

You can get a newer Sportster for 3000- 5000. It all depends on what you want.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts

Yeah...that's about right....I just bought a 71 XLCH for 1500, it was complete with matching numbers but had not been run in two years.....the guy jumped on the shifter and knocked the gear selector out of the pawl carrier.....I'm doing all the work myself and I'll easily spend 500-1000 just to get it on the road....I'm guessing another $500-1000 to bring it to a reliable standard. So in the end, I could have bought a running ironhead for 2500 and saved a lot of headaches....but my plan is to run it as a RAT for a while.....