Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead starter issues....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 10:48 AM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ironhead starter issues....

Hello,
I am the actual guy that is having trouble with finding the correct starter for my 76 Ironhead....I know it isn't rocket science, but I am new to the Sporty line (have always dealt with big twins). Anyhow, the real question I have is - was there a difference in starters from a solid electric start motor as opposed to the kicker/electric combo? I purchased a Hitachi style starter from Ebay that was specifically listed for the 76 model, but in no way do the through-bolts line up (off by a fraction to the actual housing) and the molded shroud around the starter gear will not fit through the hole in the starter housing (diameter on the housing is too small). Please help if you can....about ready to ditch this whole project because for some reason, it has turned into rocket science!

Old 02-26-2006, 02:01 PM
sbd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ironhead starter issues....

Well my 77 xlh uses a prestolite starter motor, my buddys 76 also use the same one....now they were both non kick start models.....I thought that the only difference was the outer cover??? I have been wrong before....I also thought the Hitachi starter fits a little later model sporty???? Again i think, and have been wrong before.......JERRY

Old 02-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Thanks for the info Jerry....I will continue my trek to find the right one. I can't believe how hard this is, I may as well stick to the straight kicker at this point....o well...the search continues. Later for now.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:40 PM
Thebudman
Stage III

I have a 74 ironhead electric start only and it uses a hitachi starter. I think there are only the2 starters prestolite and hitachi. I put a new chrome hitachi starter on last year and had to grind the chrome of the end to get it to fit . It would'nt fit due to the thickness of the chrome. The prestolite starters are longer and thinner. You should be able to get info from a Jireh cycles or Jp cycles catalog.

Old 02-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Again, thanks for the info....I debated shaving the chrome shroud to get it to fit. If it comes down to it, that won't be a problem...fabrication has never been a problem for me or my crew. Take care, Tid Bit

Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 AM
strokersteve
Intermediate

HI, we are used to fab jobs, esspecialy if we have a sportster. I try to be careful, to buy the right parts, first time out, because it doesn't defeat me, and make me blame the bike for my dumb choice.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey Zeus
Road Captain

Thanks for all the input....at this point I think its the Prestolite. Mine is probably the late 76 issue engine and that would be the prestolite....no muss no fuss.....thanks again guys