Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

replacing my carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Rat bike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing my carb

Ok, I'm tired of my %$^%$ carb. Now my bike is backfireing black smoke out the pipes and I have always gottencrappy milage. I think my Edelbroc Quicksilver is to blame. I am looking to replace it. What I have found are: a smoothbore Mikuni carb 40mm, a Bendex marked Zenith fuel systemMF 24220 38 mm, a S&S L body marked gal (I don't know the size) and a Mikuni VM 38mm. Now all of them are in my price range. (The L body may go too high). Not sure which one is the better of the bunch, so any input would help. My bike is an old 72 with the petcock on the right side.

Thanks,
Rat Bike out

Old 05-19-2008, 09:34 PM
supr2nr
Tourer
Default RE: replacing my carb

The bendex was a great stock carb and would probably suffice for what you want. Probably one of the cheapest to maintain and easy to find parts. Only problem with them is a rubber o-ring which has a tendency to fall apart. Can be fixed easily enough though.

The mikuni VM 38mm is a great carb. A lot of people on here will atest to that. They are hard to find parts for but they really don't need much tuning. As long as they have the correct jets they run flawlessly.

The mikuni 40mm is a bit too big for our sportsters and will only cause you more headache.

I have never used S&S' but they are from what I read really good. Most people use Super E's or Super G's though so I am not too familiar with the L

Old 05-20-2008, 12:22 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have mikuni hrs42 in my bike and it works just fine... however one of the best solutions is use Keihin CV from evo, cheap, easy to get parts, easy to adjust.
S&S is also good chose, it has little problems it hardly ever can be tuned to operate nice whole rpm range... Super E is for sportster Super G is far too big. Super B is missing accelator pump.
Keihin butterfly "old" technic... if throttle shaft is good it usually works.
Mikuni VM38 or 40 works nicely much better that S&S.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 AM
csd4682
Advanced

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!! I am taking my POS quicksilver off this week and putting on a bendix. Those have got to be the biggest pieces of S#@% I have ever tried to work with. I am happy that someone else is having the same issues, now I know im not crazy. Well im not happy, I wish this stress on no man (or woman). I will let you know how the bendix goes. I have had my bike for almost 2 months and havent gotten a decently tuned ride in since ive had it.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Rat bike
Intermediate

Hello Guys
I found a carb for sale its a mikuni 38mm
Main jet 360
pilot jet 40
needle jet 166Q-O
jet needle 6dh3
Etype cable
i was wondering if thats the right specs for my 72 Ironhead i dont want to buy it then have my scoot run like it is with my quicksilver
thanks for any help
Rat bike

Old 05-23-2008, 10:32 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It sounds like just the carb you want to get!
Standard parts are listed as:
Carb..............VM38
Main Jet.......#330
Needle Jet....#166Q-2
Jet Needle.....#6DP1
What you list is close enough. Someone may have changed the main jet, but that can be replaced with a #330 if needed.
Just be aware that you cannot get any parts for this carb though. Not even gaskets, so if you decide to buy it, take good care of it's parts.
A better carb you will not find,in my opinion......pg

Edit note: You are going to require a different manifold and the rubber adapter to use this carb on an ironhead, so make sure that is included or else pass on this carb. The carb body has a round shape, no flange like is found on a Bendix......thus the reason for also needing the intake manifold.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Rat bike
Intermediate

My old carb is a spigot mount.I think thats the right word, its got a rubber hose that mounts it to the manafold. If thats what your tanking aboutI have it already. But mines old and a little worn i amgona replace know who may sell um?
Thanks PG i was hoping thats the right carb its cheap and in good shape.
Rat bike out

Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have never been able to find where you can buy a replacement rubber adapter, so I too still have my old one. You should be able to use the one you have as long as it is the correct diameter. Those things are pretty tough..........pg

Old 05-24-2008, 12:29 PM
redbull
Intermediate

Hey Ratbike, I run an S&S super E on my '71 and love it. It will also require a new manifold however. Tear down and clean up on it is a breeze however.