Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Ironhead Oil Drain hole stripped Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Ironhead Oil Drain hole stripped Question

H-mmmm, this does not sound like a good situation at all..........pg

Old 05-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Horse13
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: piniongear

H-mmmm, this does not sound like a good situation at all..........pg
No it sure does not!
Which is WHY you NEVER pull those plugs.
EVER!
They ain't made to be removed and not needed to remove to change oil.
Period.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:17 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not a problem it is only another learning experience. We either Improvise , adapt and/or over come one way or another.The old biker who runs the NAPA store reminded me of something to use that will work and I have used many times on other problem projects.Now that I have it reamed out to a 1/2 inch course thread I got a short bolt the isall most same length as the original plug, a washer and a tube of 5200. If you are not familiar with 5200, if there had been one tube on the Titanic it would not have sank. The NAPA manager had about the same problem years ago on an old shovelhead. He put it back in with 5200 drove it for a couple of years before he sold it and last he head it is still in.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Horse13
Advanced

ORIGINAL: madcritter

This is not a problem it is only another learning experience. We either Improvise , adapt and/or over come one way or another.The old biker who runs the NAPA store reminded me of something to use that will work and I have used many times on other problem projects.Now that I have it reamed out to a 1/2 inch course thread I got a short bolt the isall most same length as the original plug, a washer and a tube of 5200. If you are not familiar with 5200, if there had been one tube on the Titanic it would not have sank. The NAPA manager had about the same problem years ago on an old shovelhead. He put it back in with 5200 drove it for a couple of years before he sold it and last he head it is still in.
I hope it stays fixed and leak free. I would not remove it again if it is fixed. The tiny bit of oil in there is not a worry. Just drain tank and drain primary through overfill plug by leaning bike.
Best of luck!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:50 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah Horse13,
I cannot count how many people I have come across who have just had to remove that infamous plug in the crankcase bottom. Every one of them has had an unhappy ending, without exception! The best ending has the JB Weld holding, for a while anyway.......pg

Old 05-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Horse13
Advanced

ORIGINAL: piniongear

Yeah Horse13,
I cannot count how many people I have come across who have just had to remove that infamous plug in the crankcase bottom. Every one of them has had an unhappy ending, without exception! The best ending has the JB Weld holding, for a while anyway.......pg
You won't see "remove plugs under cases" in any service manual that is for sure!

Not sure why they are even there. I was told once it had something to do with the manufacturing of the cases???

The JB Weld will hold great if the crankcase and such is totally drained, the bike laid on it's side and the surface cleaned completely. Then let the stuff sit for 2 days.

Don't ask me how I know this. LOL

BTW, sure is a pretty bike you have.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, that is my understanding as well. It was put in there as a cheap way to plug up a hole needed for a machining step in building the engine.
If that story is true, I have never heard exactly what machining step was done. Earlier engines did not have this plug, so what the heck could have been so different to require a hole there?
I have no idea myself.......pg

Old 06-02-2008, 05:12 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

i had the same problem.used a self tapping bolt made for this purpose.i never screwed it in all the way as it became really tight(perverts)i also screwed it back out pour oil in just to make sure there were no metal particles and then screwed it back in...buti just left it partially out.there is a small small leak that i am living with temporarily.--------i just wanted to say i am 99% sure i saw a haynes manual saying to drain it from the bottom.---yes everyone i am aware of what i can do with my haynes manual...i am just sayin...btw i will start leaning bike.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM
madcritter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: straydog13

i had the same problem.used a self tapping bolt made for this purpose.i never screwed it in all the way as it became really tight(perverts)i also screwed it back out pour oil in just to make sure there were no metal particles and then screwed it back in...buti just left it partially out.there is a small small leak that i am living with temporarily.--------i just wanted to say i am 99% sure i saw a haynes manual saying to drain it from the bottom.---yes everyone i am aware of what i can do with my haynes manual...i am just sayin...btw i will start leaning bike.
Thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
straydog13
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

for the record the bolt i used i got from advance(probably same everywhere) and it was a slight oversized,made specifically for this reason.--what hopper said above scares me.next time i change fluid i will do what he says and be careful when i put it in and never remove it again.

Quick Reply: Ironhead Oil Drain hole stripped Question