Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Primary Cover!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 PM
sutphen30
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Cover!

Just picked up a 75 Ironhead! Never owned a Harley! Where the clutch cable screws into the case its just free floating and leaking oil around it! Is it supposed to be threaded into the case? If so it must be stripped? Any fix to this? Also the top plug leaks oil even after replacing the o-ring!! I'm sure these won't be the only questions I have with this classic?
Thanks Johnny

Old 05-04-2008, 11:33 PM
pitbull1
Advanced
Default RE: Primary Cover!

I've had that prob before.You will have to take it to a shop that is capable of filling the hole and re tapping it.5/16 I believe.Make sure that you clean it up real good before taking it."Top plug leaks oil"What top plug?

Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Common fail in IH, someone has changed clutchcable with wrong threat... so threat is busted...
I'm not sure about correct threat I THINK it MIGHT be 5/16 UNF or 3/8 UNF...
Check that you don't have too much oil in primary.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 PM
sutphen30
Cruiser

The filler plug!! Once I drop the cover will I have to change all gaskets?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:02 PM
sutphen30
Cruiser

That sucks !! So I will have to take the primary cover off and have someone fill that hole in and retap?? As far as too much oil in the case?? Bike has not been used for a while according to the guy I bought it from! Should I drain all oil? Drop the Primary case cover have it fixed add oil & see what happens or may I have an issue with oil circulating??

Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 PM
pitbull1
Advanced

Removing the primary cover is no big deal.Takes 15 minutes.Do you have a manuel.Get one.It will be a blessing.jpcycles has them.The filler plug should have a round neoprene gasket around it that creates the seal.Yours is probably missing.Yes,you will probably have to change the primary gasket.Just refill with 24 oz I think or until it runs out of the level check hole once you put it back together.I use Castrol 20w50 in my primary year round.The same in my engine until it gets above 80 deg. then I run Valvoline VR1 SAE 60 racing oil which is rare as hens teeth.I get it at napa.http://www.jpcycles.com/index.aspx

Old 05-06-2008, 12:09 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No, you just think that sucks! You will find out what really sucks later. Heh-Heh, welcome to the ironhead owners group.
As the others say, remove the primary cover.
Get the hole fixed. I recommend a Heli-coil fix or another type of insert be installed.
Put a brand new gasket on the primary cover.
There is a procedure that you must do to adjust the clutch release cam. Follow it before you try to adjust the cable slack. If you do not know how, get a manual. If that is not possible now, then ask us and we can fill you in on what you need to do.
Add 26 ozs of oil and you should be good for a week before you have to fix another problem (Smile, I'm just kidding)
pg

Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 PM
supr2nr
Tourer

ORIGINAL: piniongear
Add 26 ozs of oil and you should be good for a week before you have to fix another problem (Smile, I'm just kidding)
pg
Actually your not far off! Maybe not a week it could be 3 days or 3 weeks but another problem will creep up. A bolt will come free or this or that. Nothing bad and I'm not complaining because I like to get in there and try to improve what I can. But these bikes need extra TLC.

Congrats on your purchase sutphen30

Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Like the head of Men's Warehouse likes to say........I Guarantee you!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 PM
sutphen30
Cruiser

When I remove the cover is it easy to disconnect the clutch cable?? I just ordered a manual from J&P along with the gasket set!! Gonna go the heli-coil route!! So now what is great about these bikes?? Please do tell! Am i gonna enjoy riding it?? Will I have to worry about breaking down all the time?? LOL....

Quick Reply: Primary Cover!