Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Drive Sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008 | 12:30 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Drive Sprockets

Like xxxflhrci says, this is the chain to use. I have a similar nickle chain I installed on my old 1971 when I finished the restoration in 2000. Now at 4800 miles it has the same chain with no sign of wear to it. Good chain at a good price. I would not use the O ring chain, even if it did wind up working on your machine.........pg

Old 04-17-2008 | 04:51 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior

I have a 77 model and found that it has a sprocket quirk that other years, except 78, dont have. The inner sprocket cover, the pressed tin one that supports the rear brake cable on the 77 and 78 only, is a very tight fit around the sprocket.
Running a 22 tooth sprocket with an o-ring chain made the chain rub on it and chewed up the inner sprocket cover.

It also contributed to breaking away the dowel bosses on the gearbox case where the sprocket cover mounts. A bent kicker shaft was the main cause, but I am sure the chain pressure through the inner sprocket cover contributed.

I am currently rebuilding the bike and have gone back to a 21 tooth sprocket and o-ring chain for clearance reasons. But it sounds like xxxflhrci 's idea of a narrower nickel chain with a 22 tooth sprocket might be a good idea for highway use, where the 21 tooth is better for the mountains. Although, the clearance problems are mainly on the outside diameter of the chain and sprocket, not the side clearance, so I will have to set it up on the bench and see just how much room there is in there.

Thanks for thelinkxxxflhrci.

Old 04-17-2008 | 06:43 AM
Scarletthehog
|
Novice

Thanks again! One thing I've learned is to take your advice. If I can avoid the problems that you all have run into by following your advice, then I'm better off by doing so!

Now, for the next questions. I followed Xxxflhrci's linkfor the chain(thanks for the link)and it shows two sizes; 110 and a 120. I take this to be the number of links. I now need to count the number of links in my old chain to see whichlength of chain I need to order. Do you count the number of bends/holes (that the sprocket teeth fit into) or the number of side plates?Is the 530Hthe chain I need? Are there any special tools that I will need?

Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2008 | 11:10 AM
83XLX
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: piniongear

Like xxxflhrci says, this is the chain to use. I have a similar nickle chain I installed on my old 1971 when I finished the restoration in 2000. Now at 4800 miles it has the same chain with no sign of wear to it. Good chain at a good price..........pg
Sounds like a good chain. So, do run yours without chain lube, like xxxflhrci does, or do you lube it normally? I'm having trouble with the concept of not lubing a non o-ring chain, other than hitting it with some WD40 to keep the rollers from rusting.

Old 04-17-2008 | 09:43 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Scarletthehog

Thanks again! One thing I've learned is to take your advice. If I can avoid the problems that you all have run into by following your advice, then I'm better off by doing so!

Now, for the next questions. I followed Xxxflhrci's linkfor the chain(thanks for the link)and it shows two sizes; 110 and a 120. I take this to be the number of links. I now need to count the number of links in my old chain to see whichlength of chain I need to order. Do you count the number of bends/holes (that the sprocket teeth fit into) or the number of side plates?Is the 530Hthe chain I need? Are there any special tools that I will need?

Thanks again!
Your stock chain is likely 106 links. Just get the 110 and take 4 out. It is very easy to do.

Old 04-18-2008 | 07:48 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Pinion, you got that right!! I put an O-Ring chain on a 900 and sawed thru the clutch cable....It doesn't apply to a '77 Sporty but it was a rude awakening when the cable broke in city traffic and I had to "Fred Flintstone" the bike home....(Finding neutral at a stoplight while moving slowly and pushing the bike forward with my feet to put the trans in 1st when the light turned green).....Not a feat I want to re-live!!!! LOL!

Old 04-19-2008 | 12:07 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

OK Bob......I guess I am not with it on Sportsters newer than 1975, but I remember trying to put the O ring chain on my 1971 and the thing was just too wide to get around the C/S sprocket. I then went with the nickle plated Diamond and it's still on the bike and doing fine........pg

Old 04-19-2008 | 07:27 AM
Scarletthehog
|
Novice

I'm set now!
Thanks to all for the help!!!!