Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

two questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008 | 09:37 PM
hdpearson13
|
Road Warrior
Default two questions

Have you ever used a beer can to stiop a exhaust leak as a shim?( just did myself) And I want to replace the super e with a CV carb whats yours opinions or experience? Thanks again

Old 02-15-2008 | 10:03 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Default RE: two questions

I've seen a beer can used as a velocity stack on a carb......Ah, good 'ol American ingenuity! What's up with your S&S carb? Yes, I'm partial to S&S carbs. It would save you some bucks to fix the S&S carb rather than get a Keihin carb......that way you'll have more beer money to come up with practical solutions to everyday problems!

Old 02-15-2008 | 10:17 PM
hdpearson13
|
Road Warrior

I can roll on it nice but if I crack it it boggs for a few seconds. Ive adjusted the acelortor pump to no avail or improvement. the jetting seems right I just have a feeling its to big for the ironhead in stock form. I havent tried the adjustible air bleed it still has the fixed but dont think thats going to help I just have a feeling i need a smaller carb or go with some engine work to catch up.

Old 02-15-2008 | 10:29 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

You've done your homework and you are on top of it. I got aPAIR of CV type Kiehens on E-bay for around $50......of course, the one I built for the sporty is now sitting in a box to be used/tested at a later date. You shouldn't have any problems finding a 40mm on E-bay for pocket change. There is also a small business type seller that sells adapters for the Kiehen carb to stock ironhead intake manifold for a few bucks. There are tuning kits at J&P for those Keihens as well.......Now it's time for you to get a cold one!

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:06 PM
hdpearson13
|
Road Warrior

thanks Been habving the cold ones, just worked out a deal for a cv on this site which is also how I got the bike to begin with. I havent done to much home work on the manifold, is all i need is an adapter and not some custom manifold. I got a t jet kit but want to do something to help mix the fuel air mixture better but kinda drawling a blank on what to use. was thinking of the screen thingy. I like the cv in my twin cam so i didnt want to swith them around quite yet maybe when i do a 95 build myself with some head work and the cams, ignition and pistons i picked up on ebay for dirt cheap. The s&s seems a little to sensitive to the elements were the cv just seems flawless nomatter what I wake up too I also might just try to swap the S&S for a 44 CV

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:34 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

The kit from J&P comes with 2 pilot jets, 2 main jets, a slide spring, a main jet nozzle, a sheet metal screw to pull out the idle mixture plug and a drill bit to drill out the plug. You can also get an adjuster (not included with the kit) for the idle mixturethat threads into the threads that will be exposed after you remove that plug. The smaller ID of the Kiehen throat will probably givequicker response compared to the 1-7/8" throat of the S&S. I stuck with the S&S because it has fewer parts.The smaller displacement of the ironheads does result in flat-spots when grabbing a handful of throttle while using that S&S "B" or "E" because the airflow velocity is too slow to getthe proper fuel/airratio. Theriders running the the big-twins taught me that the smaller displacement of the ironheads requires a smaller venturi sized carb. Velocity is the key. The smaller engines pull in less airand a smaller carb throat adds to the Venturi effect which allows a better fuel/air mixture without the "hiccup" that spits thru the carburator caused by a lean fuel/air mixture.......OK, I need another beer because my brainis working too much!

Old 02-15-2008 | 11:41 PM
hdpearson13
|
Road Warrior

Thanks again Id offer ya a miller. Cant wait to get old cv so i can get to work on it thanks for all the info.

Old 02-16-2008 | 12:00 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member

No problem.........Nowadays it's difficult to get info from others whohave it. I found that out at the drag strip when inquiring on specific knowledge that I haven't yet learned....There was a time about 40 years agothat the knowledge was freely exchanged without question!I guessthey fear I might waste them on the track.....I learned not too long ago not to give advice to someone who thinks they know everything.........especially when they run nitro!

Old 02-16-2008 | 06:44 PM
hdpearson13
|
Road Warrior

Just got done doing some more work and tuning it for about an hour I think i got it about as good as I can did a couple of nice wheelies even though I had to preload the front but. I still need to put the cv on because I know tommorow ill have to spend 20 minutes waitng to adjust everything again to get it close to how it was running to day. But dam was it fun today.

Old 02-16-2008 | 08:42 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

I have used beer can shimsto seal pipes for years. They work especially great under the clamps of Ironhead pipes to seal the slits in the pipe flange.

Quick Reply: two questions