Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Throttle Spiral Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Moon Wolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Throttle Spiral Question

While you guys were out partying, I've spent New Years Eve assembling the handlebars for the 62, starting with the right side (since the switches are on the left). Some social life, huh?

Pinion, your bike has the internal throttle, doesn't it? Did you use OEM parts or the after market kit?

I have NOS Speedster bars and the after market throttle and spark advance V-Twin kit.

If you've assembled one of these kits, you know the parts look a little different from OEM and that they come with no instructions.

Everything went together well, but I have two extra parts--a set screw and a machine screw.

I'm too beat to go out and take a better picture, but you can see the two unused machine screws (one for each side, I presume) still in the shrink wrap. The black dot next to it is the extra set screw (two of those, too), which appears to be a different size from the set screw that holds the control wire, so it's not an extra.

Before I assemble the other side, I'd like to know what these are for. As I've said, the apparatus appears to work perfectly, but the extra parts are bugging me.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:46 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Throttle Spiral Question

Moonwolf.....
First of all, let me say I would fight you to the death over those bars! So keep your distance.
When I was doing my build I looked everywhere for a set of Speedster bars. I finally found an Indy right here in Houston (Pearland) who had 15 sets, brand nos with the paper still wrapped around them. He was headed to Davenport at the time, the bars were packed away and he would call me when he got back.
I never heard from him and called. He had sold everything in Davenport.

At the time I did my build I used a twist spiral from VTwin. Just the part, not a kit. I do not have that part number, but what you need is the spiral from an old 45 left side spark retard. I do have that part number somewhere around here, I just cannot lay my hands on it at the moment, but I have posted it here before. I will try to find it again.....pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/DB33B450CC5A4D52B6F3D90CA12061F1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Moon Wolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Pinion, and Happy New Years. The Speedsters are even nicer than they look in the picture (there's a little grease on the chrome).

I just emailed a guy on Craigslist about another set of bars. He has (or at least had) Speedsters and Buckhorns. Don't know if the are manual spark advance style or not. Let me know if you still want a set. Don't think these are NOS. The guy is asking $75.

By the way, I was just joking around about the Tillotsen. You're a great help to everyone on the forum. I was horrified to think I might have offended you.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:07 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Moon Wolf
Thanks, Pinion, and Happy New Years. The Speedsters are even nicer than they look in the picture (there's a little grease on the chrome).
I just emailed a guy on Craigslist about another set of bars. He has (or at least had) Speedsters and Buckhorns. Don't know if the are manual spark advance style or not. Let me know if you still want a set. Don't think these are NOS. The guy is asking $75.
By the way, I was just joking around about the Tillotsen. You're a great help to everyone on the forum. I was horrified to think I might have offended you.

Offended? Not at all. The old Tillotson was a real pain (for me) and I heard of a fix that once done, made the carb run well. I could never find that fix however.

I have the buckhorn bars on my bike now. A set of Speedster bars for $75 is a great deal and I would be interested if the chrome was good on them.

Here is that part number for the spiral from NOS Parts. This spiral pulls as the throttle rolls on:
The pull is a 56220-58, from the Servi-car.
http://nosparts.com have them.
Post a photo when you get your bars installed. That extra set screw and machine screw you had left over from the kit....I 've no idea of where they may go except for the set screw is used to hold the throttle outer cable in place. That was the reason I attached the exploded view of the throttle on my last post........pg

Old 02-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Iron Man73
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what year the spiral (internal) throttle was stopped being used in the sportster? My manual (1970-1978) has both listed and I can not find exactly what year they stopped the spiral.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 AM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,730 Likes on 769 Posts

My '74 Superglide had external cable, my '72 had internal...that may narrow it down.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Iron Man73
Novice

Thanks....this seems to be a lot tougher question then I thought it would be....

Old 09-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Larry May
Novice

My 73 has internal