Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

What sportster engine is this

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 PM
wrinspect
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What sportster engine is this

What sportster engine is this, where the VIN numbers are supposed to be, on the right side case on the raised boss are stamped 560 xx2 x35, it's not like the frame # format, 4AxxxxH2. Is this an aftermarket case?

click attachment 1 to see the VIN #

[IMG]local://upfiles/49829/64856483F1E74213A74C17ABB35A3056.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-27-2007, 11:40 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: What sportster engine is this

I'm guessing a 900 engine. The front end is a '78-up.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:53 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

Well, the crankcase partnumber would place it as a '72 or later 1000 cc engine, but the VIN on the motor isn't the correct format for a bike built in the 70's.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: wrinspect

What sportster engine is this, just purchased a basket, it's a mix of years, the VIN numbers on the right side case are 560 xx2 x35, it's not like the frame 4AxxxxH2. (1972 frame) Inside the case, above the trans, there is a casting number, 24xxx-72. Have a dual disk frt end, what years were they used? I'm going to see if it's worth putting together, if not I'll be selling the parts piece by piece. Thanks !

Where exactly is that engine VIN?

Seems I remember the pre '70 models VIN would be first two numbers = year, then next 3 or 4 letters = model, and last numbers are production run number. Your supposed VIN doesn't match either this type, or the '70 - '80 type, and definitely not the later than '80 years. That would have me worried, unless I had papers saying the cases were aftermarket.

Looks like the dual disc front end is a Wide Glide type, though it could be a Sporty modified that way.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:38 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with 83XLX.
This much I am sure of: The engine is 1971 (1971= 900cc) or newer. The engine number you gave is not correct for a seventies engine either.
The frame is a 1972 XLCH according to the number you stated.
Looking at the primary side of things, the casting number does not mean too much. About all you can say is that it was made in 1972 or later. So now we have a 1972?
From the photo is seems like there is no breather screen between the crankcase and the primary compartment. No screen means it is 1977 or newer and if so, there should be a vent connection in the top of the transmission case.
I think your engine has the breather though (maybe it was remover to do the bead blasting) and the engine is somewhere between a 1972 and a 1976 and will not have a vent connection because these models shared engine oil (to a small extent) with the crankcase and the primary/transmission via the vent screen breather.
So, my conclusion is.............the engine is a 1972 (1000cc) with a funny engine number? That year would match the frame, and the front end is certainly off something much newer and 1978 is a good guess on that.......pg

Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Poco....
You are correct regarding the engine number system used before 1970. Also correct about the number is not from the seventies or newer either.
What he has there is an engine that has seen a file and a set of number stamps put to use on it. It will be really hard to get this one titled I would think.
He could regrind the case and re-stamp the frame number into the case, but if the frame has only 4 digits in the serial part of the number it needs 5 digits and Harley used a funny looking '8' laid kinda sideways to denote that 5th digit. Hard to find that kind of stamp anywhere. Besides being illegal, it will still be difficult to get a title even if the numbers do match. For the record, I do not advocate stamping the engine number on the case!
On the other hand if he has a good title that matches the frame number, he is almost home free. As a practical matter, if it were in Texas the DMV will never go out and look at the bike. In California though it is a different situation, so it all depends which state he lives in.......pg

Old 12-28-2007, 02:42 AM
Moon Wolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Motor numbers look OK to me. 4A means XLCH. Last digit is the year. It is a 1972 XLCH motor.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:17 AM
red76harley
Novice

the good news is it is a 72. Problem is in early 72 they were still 900cc's and late in 72 they changed the them to 1000cc's which is the one you want i would think. It is missing the crossover valve, and i would weld that baby up. I have had loads of trouble with them. As far as any numbers on the outside of the cases being good or bad, never trust them. I am talking from experiance here as i had a show bike (76 ironhead) taken and taken apart because of those numbers and i had a good title for the frame..
i will go into detail later. That bike was in iron works magazine, had another iron head softail in hot bike,. Anyhow, if you want to build it, do it. Most will tell you not to bother and save your money. I say do what you want. They are good bikes and are a lot of fun.
Be well, and dont hesitate to e-mail if you have any questions i can help you with.
There is nothing i havent done to iron heads in the past, stroke, big cames, thunderjets, cutting the tranny off and running a bog twin tranny, modifying the frames cutting the rocker boxes in two.. all kinds of stuff. I dont mess with them any more but it was fun.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:45 AM
jserigne
Intermediate

if this can help, here's some pics of astock '78 1000cc sportster. jim

Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: Moon Wolf

Motor numbers look OK to me. 4A means XLCH. Last digit is the year. It is a 1972 XLCH motor.
The numbers he mentioned that had "4A" in them were on the frame. The motor numbers on the VIN section are either bogus restamps, or the case is an aftermarket case. Either way it's a motor begging to be confiscated.

Quick Reply: What sportster engine is this