Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:03 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny problem

OK here is the problem, As I am riding and come to a stop pull in the clutch It will not go in to first and it wont shift up to neutral. Now that being said if I am riding along and down shift to first then neutral is easy to find. Also when I am at a red light with the clutch in the bike still wants to move forward I have to keep the brake on.

Thanks for the help
T-ron

Old 10-18-2007, 03:46 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Tranny problem

The problem you have is called.......dragging clutch.
The clutch goes into neutral easily when the bike is rolling because all of the gears and shafts are turning together and the slightest pressure on the shift lever will drop it from 2ND into neutral.
When the bike is stopped it seems like it is stuck in gear because the clutch is dragging. Imagine the gears' dogs (ears) having constant pressure on them, keeping the gears engaged. And in reality that is exactly what is happening. That is also the reason it wants to creep ahead, even though you have the clutch lever pulled all the way in.
You either have too much slack in the clutch cable (1/8 inch at the lever is max) or you have the pressure plate wobbling and it needs to be lined up by doing an adjustment. Or, it could be a combination of both issues.
In anycase, you will want to do a full clutch adjustment according to the instructions given in your factory manual.
You do have a factory manual don't you? If not, it can be the first tool you purchase.........pg

Old 10-18-2007, 04:06 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

I'll add that even when you get your clutch adjusted correctly, one of the symptoms probably won't go away - you will still have toshift intoneutral before you stop, or it will never go into it. My experience, anyway.....[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 PM
dirty78ironhead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks PG I will check the manual, that is the 2nd thing I bought ....after the bike.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:36 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pay close attention to the 'clutch ramp adjustment' description given. You want to get this done correctly. Your clutch (on a 1978) should have the spacer tubes on the studs to set the clutch pressure plate at the correct distance in and to keep it in a single plane as well.
So, maybe all you need to do is to do the ramp adjustment. That is done before you have to remove the primary cover. Try it first and maybe save having to pull the cover. One short ride will tell you if you have it fixed.........pg