Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Air Filter problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:28 PM
wolf1477
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter problems

Howdy all
Ok, gasket finally went south on the carb. Got the new carb on, but, when the old one went it popped thru the carb a few time and *fried* the air filter.
My problem is this, the manufacturer of my air filter went out of business a long time ago and I don't have any more spares. None of the aftermarket filters I've found will fit (blew about $50 so far trying to modify a filter to work.)
Filter was just a chunk of foam material that fits between two rings in the assy. I even tried a couple lawmower shops thinking their filters may be close to what I need, no such luck.
What kind of filter material can I use? Am I stuck forking out the $$ for a new cleaner assy that will take the new style filters? Thought about just going to a fabric store and buying some foam, but, I'm afraid of it (the foam) breaking down and clogging the carb or getting crystalized and blocking air flow.

Dang bike's been down for a couple weeks while I've been screwing around trying to make something work.

Wolf, if it ain't one thing it's another with this thing

Old 09-06-2007, 04:55 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts
Default RE: Air Filter problems

It may be time for a new air cleaner assembly....

Have you tried a shop that sells dirt bikes, like Honda, Yamaha, etc.? There may bea foam filterthat fits one of them that will work.

Mine backfired one time when Iattempted to startit on the patio after"tuning" it. I was wearing shorts, and running a velocity stack. Lost all the hair on my right leg.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:16 PM
tas motorsports
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Filter problems

We run into that same deal on several bikes...
A Yamaha Banshee uses this huge foam filter thingy..

I used to have several on the shelf until one day I figured out just how handy they were..

An aftermarket Emgo version is fairly cheap..

I've cut several up to make filters for machines that were NLA.. Its made from that icky feeling grayish colored stuff...

Hope that helps,

Terry