Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Cherry red pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:07 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Cherry red pipes

Until you solve this problem, I would advise you not to ride the bike. I burned a hole in a piston from an intake leak....Twice.

First time, I was an idiot. I bought the bike and had never had a Harley. It had a surge that could be felt while cruising. Three days into owning the bike, I hit the interstate to take it to a shop to get it looked at. In less than 40 miles, I had burned hole in the piston.

Second time. Not like the first. I layed the bike down on the right side during the fall, which knocked the intake loose even though I didn't know it. I let it sit over the winter. The first time I rode it, I didn't notice anything wrong at all. I hit the interstate at WOT. In less than a mile, I burned a hole in a piston.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:53 AM
JimboFXD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll swing by the dealership on the way home and pick up the plastic insert and check the things listed above. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM
JimboFXD
Cruiser

Update!...I reset the points again, installed the plastic timing plug, started it up and set the idle. I noticed right away that a drastic there was a drastic change from the points reset. No popping through the carb and the bike was smoooth. I hooked up the timing light and had a "peak" now I've timed my share of cars but I have to tell you that I believe I saw what might have been a line just to the left of center of the hole. and I believe I saw what looked like a dot righ in the center of the hole on the back cylinder. Not the kind of I'm sure I saw it that i would swear to in court but. the throttle response and the no popping through the carb means to me that the point setting when I bought the bike was WAY off and I must have booted my first attempt at setting them. I have to run out for a bit but can't wait to take it for a spin when I get home. Thanks to PG, SEP, XXX and everyone else who posts here for the help. I am quickly with yuor help learning the ins ond outs of this bike. I'll let you know how the ride went later. Jimbo

Old 09-04-2007, 03:42 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You have done it Jimbo! That quick look is all you are going to get of the timing mark(s). And you are lucky you saw it because sometimes it is really difficult to detect.
The slash to the left of center is the front firing and the double dot is the rear. Both cylinders fire together by the way. Known to me as the waste spark system.
If you had the timing light lead on the front wire, you were seeing the front firing and also got a peek at the rear. Centered in the hole is perfect, but as long as the mark can be seen it is close enough. Glad your backfiring has ended, along with the red pipes........pg

Old 09-04-2007, 08:04 PM
JimboFXD
Cruiser

Can't thank you enough for the help with this. The bike is running great. I have some big plans for this little bike. I'll keep you posted of my progress. thanks again, Jimbo

Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 AM
sepixlh
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We are here because many dealers wouldn't even touch these old scoots and it's pointless to every IH owner learn ther bike by "hardway"