Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Rear Sprocket replacement for 83 ironhead

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:45 PM
ashleyrivergal
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Sprocket replacement for 83 ironhead

Need to know if this is a hard job. And how long in a shop should this take. Replacing the rear sprocket on and 1983 sportster. TKs Ashleyrivergal

Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 PM
mojo2go
Tourer
Default RE: Rear Sprocket replacement for 83 ironhead

It's not a hard job for a shop that has a lift and should only take an hour and a half or so if thats all that is being done including aligning the rear tire. It's not the best idea to use an old chain with a new sprocket though - both sprockets and the chain should be all replaced at the same time.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Mojo2 as well. About an hour and a half should do it. Like he said, a worn chain should be replaced along with both sprockets.
What happens is the chain begins to wear out the parts (referred to as chain stretch) that it is made of. If you catch this before it affects the sprockets, then all you need is a new chain.
If however, the chain starts to eat the sprocket teeth you can be certain it is happening to both sprockets. Extreme wear will have 'hooks' on the end of the teeth, with the ends cupped forward. Eventually the teeth will be worn down to nubs if run on and on without doing something about this condition.
I have seen sprockets worn down so much that the chain slips around the sprocket when you give the bike the gas. Should not let it go that long......pg

Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 PM
83XLX
Road Warrior
Received 648 Likes on 232 Posts

I replaced the rear tire, sprocket, and chain on my '83 this Spring. Everything went fine until I tried to remove the sprocket bolts. I couldn't budge any of them, even with a hand impact driver. I had to take the wheel to a shop with air tools to break them loose. They had corroded in the aluminum wheel. Luckily, the wheel threads weren't damaged, and I replaced them with new stainless ones.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:55 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

83xlx......
Not surprised to hear about the corrosion. A lot of riders are buying brand new bikes and have a flat within a year or so. Then they find it difficult to remove the axle. Same thing, but in your case the mix is carbon steel and alumuinum. Now you have stainless and aluminum.....still dis-similar metals.
I would recommend pulling eack sprocket bolt out and coating the threads with Anti-Sieze myself. Reinstall them to the correct torque value...............pg

Old 08-29-2007, 06:57 AM
ashleyrivergal
5th Gear

Thanks guys for your help. The guy at the shop said the chain seems to be fine, and it is a new chain only put on about 1 year ago and I have not rode the bike. I had a stroker kit put in. Tks Ashleyrivergal