Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

nice 1968 with lots of original parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022 | 01:20 PM
Cyclone14
|
Advanced
Default nice 1968 with lots of original parts

Man I really like this, if I had more financial security right now and wasn't a renter I'd be on it with an offer.
Oh well, I already have a nice Sporty project and 1 is enough given my circumstances.

Hope you guys enjoy looking at this.

"This is a 1968 Harley XLCH Sportster.
I bought this bike from a really rad older guy in Missouri. He was a career Triumph mechanic and amateur motorcycle racer who raced Daytona I think in '60. He rescued this bike from his friends garage where it sat since the late 70's. Most of the work was done by the time I got it. Motor was rebuilt with fresh bore new pistons, rings, valves, guides & springs. He put the brand new La Pera seat and bars on it.
Once the bike was in my possession I had Mike at mazimoto in san francisco do new tires, a full clutch and full rewire and a few other small things which is all the bike needed to rip. I got frustrated with the bendix on there and got an SU HS2 carb fitted. It's not a Rivera SU though I am including one of those too with the parts bin as part of the sale though it is much better suited for a big twin . This is an old school mod that a lot of people don't seem to be familiar with. This carb was usually found on 60's british cars like MG's and Minis and was one of the first CV carbs. Its incredibly simple and looks amazing. Mod is simple enough, right the float bowl (it is tilted because of the head angle on the car motors) and fit the correct needle. Took it a step further and added an enrichener which acts like choke. They're tuned by adjusting a screw which raises/lowers a tapered needle like a jet and also by oil in the domed piston which acts as a damper. I had the guys at Old-Stf drill one of their cast cleaners for it and I think it's a really sick set up.

All of the parts I bought that went on the bike are the best that I could find
Clutch build
-James Clutch Hub Oil Seal
-Colony Clutch Hub Nut Kit
-James Clutch Dome Gasket
-Barnett Steel Drive Clutch Plate Set
-Barnett Kevlar Fritction Plate Set
-Barnett STD Cluth Spring
Front Brake parts from Sporty Parts
-Front Brake Cable
-Front Brake Cable Adjuster
-Cable Tube Clamp
-Front Brake Cable Tube
-Really nice alloy blade lever (matching brand new clutch lever in parts bin)
This bike has all the good stuff.
-high shouldered rims
-33.4 front end
-chrome lunch box oil tank
-modified su
Parts bin -
Original 2 piece buckhorns + throttle
Original two tone buddy seat with grab bar
Original speedo & tach + housing
Original Ham can air cleaner - complete
Original Buco mirror
Rad little rotary *** for the headlamp that was like $100
2 extra mags
several primary and clutch dome gaskets, clutch hub oil seals, cork pushrod tube gaskets
old tillotson carb & manifold
extra exhaust clamps from Gasbox
a complete and stupid expensive fully vapor blasted and rebuilt rivera eliminator ii su carb with extras (float bowl extension kit, gaskets, support bracket, manifold, extra throttle lever and throttle cable holder)
some fluids and an oil filter than is for the later oil bag
A copy of Donny's Unauthorized Techincal Guide
All sorts of other small bits.
I'm not sure if the tins are '68 but they were never installed basically new old stock before being mounted on this bike. Original factory Birch White paint with some minor shop wear and no decals.
Title in hand (MO) and comes with an old CA black plate that should be DMV clear and correct sticker. Everything you need to walk into the DMV and make it yours.
Here is a video mike did as he was working on this bike
and I've also got videos of the bike with the rad old guy riding it around with drag pipes right after he put it together with the rebuilt engine
The good - everything above. this bike is fkn killer. It's not got 50 miles on it since all the work listed about was done, it still needs some miles before you should do a break-in service with new fluids and valve adjustments.
The bad - As I was trying to get the SU in tune the kicker started to slip on me. So the two things keeping you from riding this out of here are replacing the kicker mechanism so you don't hyper extend your knee (like I did) and dialing in the SU."

tags - ironhead, iron head, xlh, xlch, sportser, 900cc, knucklehead, shovelhead, k model, harley davidson

Craigs List: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...513025725.html