Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Installing Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:59 PM
207XL
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing Intake Manifold

Hey thanks for the help guys!
It's great to have a place to go where we can find help or advice. The local HD dealer is not much help and too freakin' expensive anyway. I have a local independant shop (NH Motorcycle Wharehouse, in Portsmouth, NH) that works on pre-evo Harley's and a few friends w/ shovels but there aren't any other Ironheads around.
Thanks

Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 AM
bluemarlin
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've truly enjoy working on my 73 and doing things myself. This would never be possible without the help of most of you guys and these type threads.

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Massapequa Mike (07-01-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 04:11 PM
BrianKayne
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sepixlh
Nobody can't be expert to all years and models [&:] You PG are true expert when we are talking about older IH [sm=icon_cheers.gif] I personally know only little about 72-79 IH's but I think it's important that whole "group" support each other. This because there is very few workshops that really are willing to work with IH or older models, they don't care theese "old scoots"

-sepixlh-
can you install the intake manifold wrong for the S&S? (Voesventupordown)Came with vent for voes and I don’t have voes on my 82’ IH.

Last edited by BrianKayne; 06-30-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 07:04 AM
Massapequa Mike
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

207XL,
Personally, I wouldn't even think about loosening the heads or cylinders for a manifold alignment. I would lubricate the INSIDES of the bands before installing with just a coating of lithium grease. By the way there has to be a gap between the manifold and the head or you would not be able to install the manifold and bands. This is the reason of course why the bands are as wide as they are. Don't be in a hurry when tightening the bands. Make sure you have a good seal ALL AROUND even if you use a small mirror and a bright flashlight. Make sure when you finish tightening ( don't overtighten ) the clamps that they are facing in such a way that they are not hitting anything and are accessible to snug after the carb is installed. I did all of this when I installed the original carb on by '82. All came out great the first time. Good Luck.

BrianKayne (07-04-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 07:15 AM
cycleman11
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianKayne
can you install the intake manifold wrong for the S&S? (Voesventupordown)Came with vent for voes and I don’t have voes on my 82’ IH.
This is an old thread, so you might want to do a search. Lots of info on how to install the intake manifold.

The biggest issue is getting the parts of the intake that attach to the head at the right angle. I've found, at least for a HD CV40 or Mikuni 42 carb, is to grease the rubber that mates to the heads, install the intake loosely to the head ( there is a front and rear orientation of the flanges ), install the rubber donut for the carb to slide into, then mount the carb and hold it in place by bolting the backing plate to the heads. This aligns everything and then you just tighten up the flange bolts on the intake. Once you've got them tight you can remove the backing plate and carb to hook up cables etc. Once you do it once, it becomes pretty simple.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:00 AM
Massapequa Mike
Advanced
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

207XL,
Forgot to mention that once your satisfied that the manifold and seals are correctly installed with the clamps, do not tighten until the carb is installed with the bracket that goes to the tranny case. There is a certain amount of movement with the manifold and you obviously want the best alignment of carb and manifold before final tightening.

johnjzjz (07-01-2023)