Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

battery eliminator (large capacitor) on xlch

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:35 PM
Spitshine
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery eliminator (large capacitor) on xlch

I was looking to see if anyone here knows how to properly hook up a battery eliminator on a 1968 xlch(no battery) with a solid state regulator/rectifier. I didn't know if I am suppossed to wire both of the terminals to the rectifier or to the generator or both? It's meant to keep down light flicker when hooked up properly. I guess I also will have to polarize the generator with a 12v battery from my other bike since I have no battery. Correct me if I'm wrong on polarizing: STEP 1: connect 1st jumper wire from negative battery post to generator housing STEP 2: connect second jumper wire from positive battery post to generator "A" terminal.
STEP 3: remove cables and it is polarized and ready?

Old 05-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: battery eliminator (large capacitor) on xlch

Connect your battery eliminator between the B terminal on the regulator and the engine case.

Polarizing requires a battery. To polarize the battery, connect the battery to ground and the B terminal on the regulator. Momentarily jumper between the B and A terminals. This should be a quick flash, just make a spark and take away the jumper. I don't know if it needs to be done with the engine running, but I've always done it that way. Leave a voltmeter connected to ground and the A terminal to make sure the generator polarized correctly.
The '68 should not need a rectifier. If there is one built into the regulator, that could cause problems.