Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Starter question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Shovelhead77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter question

Even befor I rewired my Ironhead every time I would hit the start button all I would get is a click, the Stator is new last year, the cylinoid is new, and the relay is new, also the bendix is new last year. What could this be? Any help would be good, I don't think my knee can handle kicking her over another year..LOL Thanks..
Daryl

Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Starter question

That is certainly a mystery. Everything is new, including the wires?
All you can do is check each item, one by one until you find the place where there is a problem. Use a heavy wire jumper to go around the start button switch, the transmission lock out switch etc. Wherever this click occurs, that is an indication the electrical is getting as far as that item at least. The problem will be found with the item that clicks, of further downstream of that.........pg

Old 05-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Shovelhead77
Cruiser

The strange part is it feels as if the regulator is what is making the click, could that be what the problem is?

Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

In the starting circuit, the only part that the regulator plays is to provide a terminal to provide current to the starter relay, ie, the 'Batt' connection on the regulator.
The starter circuit is made up of the following items:
Battery
Starter solenoid
Starter motor
Starter relay
Starter button
and maybe......a Neutral switch. This switch was put on in 1973 or 1974 but for some strange reason does not show up on the wiring diagrams. Anyway, it prevents starting in gear. If you have this switch look for it on the top of the transmission. Easy to see and it will have 2 wires going to it. It must operate to allow the starter to spin. I am almost sure yours does not have this switch, but you need to look to see if it does, and then if it does, make sure it works and is adjusted properly.

Your trouble lies with one of these items, or else in the wiring connections.
I suggest you check each item out fully for function, and go back over your wiring/hookups again. Do it like you would eat an elephant......one bite at a time.

The clicking of the regulator sounds to me like you have something hooked up to run full time. Say for instance the headlight was on all of the time......this will provide a load as soon as current hits the regulator and activate the regulator contact points to close.
I have attached 2 pages describing the switches in your starter circuit. Go over these and then check each item out carefully........pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/547D2CAF2B374BDE8DD4614C3AD7B027.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/C9F65881160B4AD88AFA03B9CC9BCF8C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 AM
Shovelhead77
Cruiser

Thanks Piniongear, I will look into that, starting with the relay, Now just out of couriosity I noticed that on the relay I have there are four posts, Two large ones and two small ones, all the diagrams I have seen only have three posts two large and one small. The two small ones have a letter next to them, one is an I and one is an S. I assume the I is ignition and the S is starter, would I be correct in this thinking? And could that be my problem? I belive I have the start button hooked up to the S post. Should I try to find a relay with just three posts?
Thanks for the help.
Daryl

Old 05-16-2007, 12:42 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

The diagrams that I have do not go beyond 1974. Your machine is a 1977, correct?
I do not know what the 4th terminal is for, however as the diagram shows, three of the terminals are what is needed.
One is a ground. This connects to the starter button.
One connects to the Batt terminal on the regulator.
One connects to the starter solenoid.
Find the ground terminal by using an ohm meter. You will have full continuity between this terminal and the relay body.
Do the tests shown in figure 5-7 on your 4 terminal relay.

Now, if that does not help you I suggest doing this:
Call J&P Cycles (1-800-397-4844) and ask to speak with a tech person. J&P list starter relays on page 280 of their catalog. The relays for 1967 thru 1974 are shown as 3 post terminal, which is all I am familar with. They should be able to answer your question of a 4 post better than I have........pg

Old 05-18-2007, 12:07 AM
sbd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not claiming to be an expert but i had my 77 xlh do the same thing.One time it would start ok the next time all i got was a click.I found that the batterycable from the battery to the sol. was cracked under the nut on the sol.I replaced the cable and it has not done that since.....Hope this helps...Jerry

Old 05-18-2007, 12:38 AM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks sbd.......
Thats what I am talking about. Shovelhead has a problem somewhere in the starting circuit, be it a bad wire connection or one of the few components that make up the circuit.
In your case, a bad battery cable was the cause of it not starting. It clicked, as does shovel's, but there was not enough current (amperage) getting to the solenoid to engage the starter. There was enough voltage (12V) to make it click however. Very easy for this condition to sometimes start and sometimes it leaves you sitting there with a fat lower lip.
That kind of thing is what shovel has to look for.........pg

Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Shovelhead77
Cruiser

Sorry puter has been down for a few days,, I will look into the cable and see if maybe there is a bad connection somewhere, I hope that is all it is. Thanks for the help guys..
Daryl