Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

Help !!! 81 XLH with Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:08 PM
dumpsterj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help !!! 81 XLH with Engine Noise

hey guys , I think this is my first thread if not even my first post. I have a 1981 Sportster and its my first harley and I love it to death , hopefully its death is a long ways away. I noticed what sounded like a rattling noise this morning. I rode almost all day. Rattle , wow thats not unusual. Cept this was new. I checked to see if anything was loose , couldnt find anything loose so just figured I missed it. It got louder throughout the day and now im worried. My friend got his 81 FLHS back from the shop so I was like hey Ill ride over and check it out (he doesnt have a plate yet) , well by the time I get there Its loud. I stop the bike take off my helmet and I swear it sounds like a Metal Turkey. Its a gobble gobble kinda noise except its metallic , like a rolling noise. Any idea ? It made it home but on the way it had a stuttering fit . The noise seems rpm related. It sounds like its coming from the right side of the front of the engine but its hard for me to be sure. Any input. man I hate to put it back in the shop right before bike week !!!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:46 PM
nywarthog
Cruiser
Default RE: Help !!! 81 XLH with Engine Noise

Check your valve adjustment

Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM
dumpsterj
Cruiser

alright heres an update , did just a feel test on the pushrod tubes , someone recommended for me to see if any of them were vibrating more than the rest , none of them felt any different from the others in fact they vibrated less than I thought they would. I did flood it while I was messing with is and as I cranked and cranked I noticed it didnt make the noise while the starter turned it over. It made the noise right after I started it the first time when the cylinders were actually firing. Im not gonna be able to start it again for a while (ive flooded it before) but im starting to wonder if its just exhaust leaking somewhere . It sounds like its up front but it doesnt seem to be coming from the exhaust port. i hope its not a cylinder seal or something gone. I do know after my bike cools it leaks a lil oil around the bottom of the cylinders.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:08 AM
solitaryman54
Intermediate

hi dumpster I got an 80 sporty a few months ago had simular kind of noise check the front generator the two bolts on the right side. take out the gen it pulls right out and check the gear on it and the oil slinger. dont forget to lock tight everything and i mean everthing ,. good luck p.s my first harley also. larry

Old 04-24-2007, 12:10 AM
solitaryman54
Intermediate

if you cant locate the noise get your self a peice of hose and try to find it that way hope this helps larry