Ironhead A place to talk about Ironheads.

S&S tuning and jetting..

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:04 PM
69sport
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S tuning and jetting..

well, im nearing the point where i can start my bike again, after installing the new carb, handle bars, throttle, clutch cable, brake cables, wires, and relocating the guages(well, i havent quite done that yet..)

first off know the following.. the bike is a 69 sportster with no engine mods other than the s&s super E shorty..
before i start the bike again, i have been trying to read up as much as i can on tuning the carb.. i gather that the out of the box jetting on the carbs might be a bit rich.. so my questions are as follows.. should i look into getting a jetting kit with all the different jet sizes? anyone have any experience with the thunderjet system which adds a third jet range to the carb? and how about this info i read.. here ...almost all theway down the page there is a section about using an adjustable main jet in an s&s supere carb.. what confuses me is that he states that it is usable on the super e and g carb even though the manufacturer says it is not..but doesnt explain why.. anyone have experience here?

thanks for any help you guys can throw my way!

Old 04-10-2007, 06:49 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: S&S tuning and jetting..

I'm running a .031 intermedite jet and a .074 main and have no problems tuning. A super G is a little large for a stock displacement 1200, designed more forbig bore and strokers.You will need roughly the same size jets that I use . you may need to go down to a .029 int and .072 main . If your idle mixture screw is more than 2 turns out alarger jet is needed . If it is less than 2 turns a smaller jet is needed . jet size is usually stamped on the box it came in .. The main jet is easy to figure out . Screw in the accelerator pump in all the way (not too tight) Take it for a ride , when it is warmed up roll on the throttle , if it backfires or breaks up a larger jet is required. if it won't take the throttle, blubbers and feels sluggish a smaller jet is needed.Buy jets that are .002 smaller and larger than I use , and that should will work well on any sportster. I have Never used a thunderjet so I can't give you any advice . It is a lot of trial and error to get it just right ... You can download the instructions from the S&S web site. Print them out it will help ...Mark...

Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
69sport
Cruiser

my mistake, i meant to say sume E carb.. rather than the super g.. ill edit that in the original post. thanks for the info though.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

markdt....
The post was related to a 1969 900cc ironhead. Your reference to a 1200cc makes me think you are talking about a modern Sportster.
If so, an ironhead is a totally different breed of cat and I do not think your jet sizes will mean anything to 69sport. Just my 2 centavos though........pg

Old 04-10-2007, 07:11 PM
markdt
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOPS didn't see the year same as before except smaller jets start at .0265 inter up to .029 ...Main jet start at .062 to .068. I wil read the post better next time...Mark...

Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally, S&S carbs come new with 2 sets of jets, and it's unusual that neither works. So, see how it runs when it's all together before buying anything more.
I've not had much luck with adjustable jets in carbs not designed for them.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:14 PM
69sport
Cruiser

sounds good. gotta buy a speedo cable and install that.. then ill be able to mount up the guages, and should be able to start this baby up.. anyone have any info on installing the speedo cable? i know it just screws on to the guage, does it do the same at the tranny?

lost my service manual, and im in the process of getting a new one..

thanks!!