Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

The Pv monster sticky makes want to cry!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The Pv monster sticky makes want to cry!!!!

I recently installed the pv1 on my 2013 sg, I purchased it from fuelmoto and they installed a custom tune as they always do. I've installed the Pv and have been running AT sessions with my stock NB sensers. I'm on my 5th AT session and the bike seems to run really good. After exiting the AT data log screen that shows my "hits" it tells me my average change is -1% and my max change is -5%. I hadn't previously noticed my changes being a negative number? What is this telling me? That it's leaning the bike? Are these numbers good or do I need to continue auto tuning? I'm almost positive the changes were positive numbers before.

Also another question is my tempetures here where I live have been alittle higher than normal, should I avoid auto tuning in these conditions? Is the higher temps the reason for the negative changes to the tables I'm seeing?

I'm doing my best to read the monster Pv sticky but holy crap!!! That's a lot of info!! Makes me want to tear my motor apart and do all my mods take it to fuelmoto for a tune and forget it. I love working on my bike and turning my own wrenches is not a problem but this tuning stuff is a whole other thing. The more I read the dumber it makes me feel.

Last edited by ridedaddy; 08-26-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
I recently installed the pv1 on my 2013 sg, I purchased it from fuelmoto and they installed a custom tune as they always do. I've installed the Pv and have been running AT sessions with my stock NB sensers. I'm on my 5th AT session and the bike seems to run really good. After exiting the AT data log screen that shows my "hits" it tells me my average change is -1% and my max change is -5%. I hadn't previously noticed my changes being a negative number? What is this telling me? That it's leaning the bike? Are these numbers good or do I need to continue auto tuning? I'm almost positive the changes were positive numbers before.

Also another question is my tempetures here where I live have been alittle higher than normal, should I avoid auto tuning in these conditions? Is the higher temps the reason for the negative changes to the tables I'm seeing?

I'm doing my best to read the monster Pv sticky but holy crap!!! That's a lot of info!! Makes me want to tear my motor apart and do all my mods take it to fuelmoto for a tune and forget it. I love working on my bike and turning my own wrenches is not a problem but this tuning stuff is a whole other thing. The more I read the dumber it makes me feel.
I wouldn't be concerned over the +/- changes. They are very small and the VE's are being adjusted to suit your set-up.

I also wouldn't be concerned about the temp change. Set it for a good hot weather tune and check again in the spring or fall when temps are cooler. Some ADD people adjust tunes for season, but I don't find it necessary.

The 'Monster Sticky' is intimidating, I would start reading the newer threads from about 350 on. As the PV has evolved things have changed and the early stuff doesn't always apply to the current PV and causes confusion. We didn't always have an autotune function, so tunes were processed manually on a PC with WinPV and Log Tuner. There is some good info in there if you want to educate yourself about tuning.

If you've run 5 autotunes, changes are less than 5% and you're happy with the way your bike is running you should be all set. Usually the larger changes are in cells that you haven't hit before. It is important to hit as many cells as possible.

You can play with timing or AFR if you like, but the Fuel Moto base tunes are so good you shouldn't have to worry about either.

You can load your tune into WinPV and load your previous tune as a compare tune and see the differences, in either absolute or percentage change. That will tell you what has changed and show where you are at currently.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:14 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master

Ok thanks, so I guess my only question would be as a rule of thumb with my average change being -1 and my max -5 is that close? Should my max change be less than that? I guess I would have to know weather or not the max change was in a new cell or a cell that is still being corrected. Should I be trying to achieve a max change of less than 5? Say 3 or 4?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:45 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
Ok thanks, so I guess my only question would be as a rule of thumb with my average change being -1 and my max -5 is that close? Should my max change be less than that? I guess I would have to know weather or not the max change was in a new cell or a cell that is still being corrected. Should I be trying to achieve a max change of less than 5? Say 3 or 4?
You are very close. Most people say 5% max change, some like 3%. If it's only one or two cells, you should be good either way. Look at the changes in WinPV to see how often and where the 5% occurs.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 AM
ridedaddy
Road Master

Thank you sir, I have no complaints on how the bike runs so I have to be doing something right.